Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

To B.O.S.S. or not to B.O.S.S.? Browning users...help

Old 11-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default To B.O.S.S. or not to B.O.S.S.? Browning users...help

Here's my question....I'm considering a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm. Mag.
Obviously, you have the option to get it with or without the B.O.S.S. system. I've used this in the past and it works wonderfully for shrinking your groups. I never thought of this though
If the 7mag is listed with a 26" barrelWITH the B.O.S.S., how do they also list a 26" barrel WITHOUT the B.O.S.S.??????
Does the threaded barrel stop short of the 26" mark to allow the B.O.S.S. to fit on the end and still keep the barrel length at 26"?
I'm just wondering if Browning has to shorten the barrel to add the B.O.S.S. and still keep the barrel at 26", and if so, how does that effect the velocity of the caliber.
Just wondering if the "muzzle brake" on the end serves as barrel length to keep velocity up or not.
I know this is way be worded in a confusing way, but you get theidea.
Any info would be appreciated.
Schoolcraft
Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To B.O.S.S. or not to B.O.S.S.? Browning users...help

I see no need for the boss personally.Without the CR it increases the noise level substainially, IMO shouldn't be fired without hearing protection.

I believe you loose approx. 2" of barrel with the boss, the difference in velocity est. at 75fps per 1". so 24" boss vs 26" non boss you stand to loose in the area of 150fps in MV.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

O.K. Let's say you're using the BOSS CR (no muzzle brake) option. Would the velocity still be affected?
Simple question...Is a BOSS equiped barrel actually shorter than a standard barrel?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

O.K. Let's say you're using the BOSS CR (no muzzle brake) option. Would the velocity still be affected?
Simple question...Is a BOSS equiped barrel actually shorter than a standard barrel?
"I believe you loose approx. 2" of barrel with the boss, the difference in velocity est. at 75fps per 1". so 24" boss vs 26" non boss you stand to loose in the area of 150fps in MV. "
Old 11-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah Skeeter,
I guess I could have just read your first post better. Thanks
Plain barrel it is!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

the velocity loss only occurs if the powder is not fully burnt.

heres a quote from swat magazine on a test that tactical operations did on barrel lengths and velocitys with a 300 win mag

To find the answers, Tac Ops took a 26-inch barreled .300 Win. Mag. and chopped the barrel down in one-inch increments as they previously did with the .308 Winchester. Ten rounds of Federal Match 190-grain BTHP Gold Medal were fired from each increment. No velocity was lost from 26 inches to 22 inches. Velocity loss started to occur only after they went below 22 inches

to read the full artical go to
http://www.tacticaloperations.com/

then to articals and the SWAT dec-2000
Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 PM

I agree about the statement on barrel length and velocity, but i think that is a function of powder used in that particular load and would not stand true for all loads.

As far as boss, you ask for users which I am not, I do however sight in and work on them. I am against, they are loud/ and or cumbersome, the are mechanical so can move. I also had an instance where a customer ask me to remove the boss completely, just building a ring 3/8" to cover the threads, the gun shot great like that. Shot great with Boss too, go figure. Point is Boss might be some advantage but not great in reference to accuracy, most plain brownings shoot well too.

As far as muzzle break, I am no fan. Too loud, hurts ears more than shoulder. I shoot my 30-378 without break and can do it because I practice with my guns.

BOSS = Cheat/Gimmick
Old 12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would highly reccomend that you(or anybody) get the boss option.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

After owning a BOSS,i highly recommend not getting one.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 PM

I currently own a A-Bolt Medallion in .270 with the BOSS. I have had it for 15 years.Does it improve Barrel Harmonics ? Yes. Does it help with your hunting ? No Why ?? Because I have never seen anyone shoot a 3 shot group at a deer and try to determine group size.

Would I buy it again ?? NO. Why?? because it does nothing for me. The BOSS was soon replaced with the BOSS CR, after I shot it the first time without hearing protection. I was deaf for just over 4 hours. AND The optimization does not allow me to shoot a 3 shot group at a deer. With them it is one shot and out. So I dont use it. So why would I buy it again.

God Bless

Quick Reply: To B.O.S.S. or not to B.O.S.S.? Browning users...help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.