Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question on Hornady Custom 300 Win Mag

Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Spike

Default Question on Hornady Custom 300 Win Mag

I have a Rem. 700 in 300 Win Mag and it hangs with Hornady Custom ammunition. It shoots Federal and Remington rounds fine, but when you fire Hornady rounds you have to take your fist and knock the bolt down to eject the spent case. I have measured the prefired round and compared it to the Federal and Remington and there is no difference in the measurements of the unfired rounds. Could it be the charge is that much hotter in the Hornady or what could be causing this. There is no doubt the case is swelling more on the Hornady or something. I have tried cleaning the chamber after the shots and it is still the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it but accuracy wise, the gun shoots the Hornadys well. Any suggestions?[&:]
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on Hornady Custom 300 Win Mag

Do you notice any different marks on the Frontier(hornady) case vs the others? If so you could have a tooling mark on the chamber that catches the expanded brass cause bolt lift tightness. A trip to the gunsmith to have it checked and reamed might solve such a problem. At the same time have him check your head spacing and bolt face. Make sure to take the fired cases of the stickers and non stickers with you.

I assumeit cycles and closes fine with unfired hornady ammo? How does the primer appear? Is it primer flattened, rolledbacked with the hornady load/look different then the others? Is this hornady's mag loads or regular? Have you tried more than this lot#?

Good luck