Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 77 Build / Technical Info

Old 11-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Ruger 77 Build / Technical Info

I need some info on ruger 77 actions. I love the actions features (safety, extractor), but am not much on the gun as a whole. I am interested in building a new rifle and had decided to just modify the safety and extractor of a 700 to suit my desires, but am now thinking a re-barrel, trigger, and stock for a factory 77 action.

From a building standpoint does the action have any problems? What is the lock time for a short action?

I do not see many custom Rugers and from first hand experience the factory rifles seem less accurate so I worry it will not perform.

The plan is to chamber in 358 win or the new 338 federal.

Any comments about this build or 77 action would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Ruger 77 Build / Technical Info

I have an affinity for the Mauser type actions so I like the Ruger. Most of the accuracy concerns are usually a result of their triggers and not from the action. There are plenty of good barrels, triggers and stocks out there for the Ruger and with those it should make a very accurate and dependable rig. I've heard that they can be a little tricky to bed in a stock due to the angled action screw but good fit would probably be pretty easy with an HS Precision or McMillan stock. Best of luck on your build!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:21 PM

Yea there is no better feel than a mauser, I have been smithing for years, but only part time and mostly repairs, I have 3 project mauser builds going on of my own. 2 CZ24s and a turkish 1906. Funny but the turk is hands down a better gun than the czs.

I just want something new, and stainless.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you wanting the "old" style (I hope)with tang safety? or the new style mk2? I would go with the .358win.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM

I have a Tang safety off getting a 20" 358 barrel as we speak. I hope to have a Brown precision lightweight stock and top it off with a Burris 1.75x5x32 Sig Safari.

I have owned a number of ruger rifles and I have never had trouble getting one to shoot under an inch and the only other one that had a custom barrel ( a 338-06) I can get to shoot almost a half inch, so I never doubted that the M77 would be a good choice.

The two hesitations I had about the M77 were that Mcmillian dosen't make its edge stock for the ruger and the second hesitation was that I suspect that the M77 is a heavier action than the 700. But for me I am a Ruger guy so I can deal with the little things If I can carry one of my old friends.

I expect that the reasons that more customs/semi customs aren't made with M77s are partially historical.. everyone builds RemChesters so customs are RemChesters..its sort of circular. The folksordering and building customs are just more familiar with RemChestersIn the past Rugers had a reputation for touchy accuracy caused partially by poor barrels in the old days, a bedding system that was unfamiliar to many and on the M77 MKII, a poor trigger. I don't think that any of those affect a custom rifle at all.

On the upside you get strong bolt, good scope mounting system.