Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

pics of exit hole

Old 11-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pics of exit hole

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

whats the point in these huge holes tho? id rather have controlled expansion such as a remington core lokt
from several years of experience using core lokts, 150 grainers from my 308. theres no such thing as controlled expansion when high velocity close range hits and bones are involved. I had several deer where the bullet hit bone on the way in and would leave multiple exit wounds im not talking 2 or 3 im talking 5 or 6 you can in some cases see where the jacket and multiple pieces of the core had exited in two to three different spots and other wounds where bone had exited. they would look like a claymore went off inside the deer.

with zrexpilots photos im guessing that 100 grainer from that 243 took a bunch of bone with the bullet upon exiting. In alot of cases Ive felt zrex to post BS but in this case I believe it ive seen bullets do alot of unexpected things on deer.

by the way zrex thats a darn good shot for a youngin to make at nearly 200 yards.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

with zrexpilots photos im guessing that 100 grainer from that 243 took a bunch of bone with the bullet upon exiting. In alot of cases Ive felt zrex to post BS but in this case I believe it ive seen bullets do alot of unexpected things on deer.

by the way zrex thats a darn good shot for a youngin to make at nearly 200 yards.

Really ? What BS. I have never posted anything that I said I did and was a lie. I have no need to lie. I do not lie and cant stand people who do.
If I said I did it you can be sure I did.
My .243 is dead on a 200 yds, with 2 1/2 lb trigger pull and no recoil, it's point and click, like a camera. My boy was set up with a bi-pod and had all the time in the world to make this shot. Me sitting right next to him with bino's and a little coaching the whole time up untill he fired. This same weekend he made a perfect shot on a Javelina at a 125 yds.
Heres another one of the same deer and hunter.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres another pic of an entrance wound and an exit. This buck was taken at a meer 80'yds with my .243 using 100 gr Hornady's. The pic of the exit is not that good but you can see the 3" hole.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

whats the point in these huge holes tho? id rather have controlled expansion such as a remington core lokt
from several years of experience using core lokts, 150 grainers from my 308. theres no such thing as controlled expansion when high velocity close range hits and bones are involved. I had several deer where the bullet hit bone on the way in and would leave multiple exit wounds im not talking 2 or 3 im talking 5 or 6 you can in some cases see where the jacket and multiple pieces of the core had exited in two to three different spots and other wounds where bone had exited. they would look like a claymore went off inside the deer.
I've had both trophy bonded bear claws and Barnes X bullets stay together on bone hits on deer and elk.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:30 PM

I'v saw pictures of barns x bullets which lost most of their petals when striking bone. It was a magazine artical and the consensus was that any bullet designed for expansion may fail when hitting heavy bone, thats why most people still use solids on dangerous game in Africa!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I'v saw pictures of barns x bullets which lost most of their petals when striking bone. It was a magazine artical and the consensus was that any bullet designed for expansion may fail when hitting heavy bone, thats why most people still use solids on dangerous game in Africa!
Good poit but I'd like to point out that a bone hit on an elk or deer is far different than a bone hit on Cape buffalo or elephant.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Really ? What BS. I have never posted anything that I said I did and was a lie. I have no need to lie. I do not lie and cant stand people who do.
If I said I did it you can be sure I did.
My .243 is dead on a 200 yds, with 2 1/2 lb trigger pull and no recoil, it's point and click, like a camera. My boy was set up with a bi-pod and had all the time in the world to make this shot. Me sitting right next to him with bino's and a little coaching the whole time up untill he fired. This same weekend he made a perfect shot on a Javelina at a 125 yds.
Heres another one of the same deer and hunter.

i was never doubting you one bit on this post..... asfar as me calling you on some BS its been awhile atleast a year since ive read a post of yours that seemed like BS.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 AM

Are you folks sure those are the exit wounds?

I had a similar experience the one and only time I used Ballistic tip bullets in my 280. The only difference was that the wound was on the entry side with no exit wound at all. I shot a doe in the ribs and a hole the size of a basket ball exploded. It was pathetic performance and I never used BT's for anything but varmints from then on.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Are you folks sure those are the exit wounds?

I had a similar experience the one and only time I used Ballistic tip bullets in my 280. The only difference was that the wound was on the entry side with no exit wound at all. I shot a doe in the ribs and a hole the size of a basket ball exploded. It was pathetic performance and I never used BT's for anything but varmints from then on.
ironically i have a very similar experience.... 150 gr NBT.... 280 rem... from a ridge so i was elevated by about 60 feet... horizontal distance was 125 yds and i DO NOT LOAD HOT in my reloads... shot her at a quartering away angle... BT hit a rib... turned parallel to the deer's body and traveled all of the way to the shoulder... clipped EVERY rib on the way and split open the left lung... i never found more than some bits and pieces of bullet... i reckon most of it was in the lung.... she stumbled 30 yds and was dead before she it the ground... entrance wound in the hide, i could put my fist through it... a very sickening feeling when you are gutting and later caping it out... but i guess it did its intended job... just not with much finesse...

From that point on it was Partitions period in the 280 for big game... and i have not regretted it for a minute... performance on whitetail has been exemplary

the BT is just way too volitile for my liking especially in smaller calibers... i've shot other deer with them before and they've worked, ok i guess... as an example i took a doe at 50 yds broadside and the bullet passed right through and buried in a tree... but the exit hole... was again about 3 inches across...

On another front i have hunted most of my life with an older gentleman who uses a 243.. when i was a teenager there used to be debates amongst us about which caliber was the best blah blah blah... 243 is too small and fragile... blah blah blah.... he took home a deer (or two) every year... the 243 has NO issue killing.... but the mess it leaves is undeniable..

i will say that i do enjoy shooting the NBT's from my 35 Whelen AI... for deer it is just about right... Partitions are pricy and honestly they are a bit "Tough" for a whitetail in that caliber... just pass through but do a good job killing.... the NBT does a very good job also as it is a bit more heavily constructed and creates a nice wound channel but doesn't destroy on as grand a scale as the 243 or smaller caliber BT's... but alas it is NLA and i'll have to go back to the drawing board with the accubond when it actually hits the shelves...

JMHO

JR