Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help with Shotgun Slugs

Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 AM

Default RE: Help with Shotgun Slugs

You WILL NOT ruin a smooth bore barrel by shooting sabots through it. It is just that often they cost several times more money than rifled slugs and without the rifleing in the barrel you gain nothing...usually. So there is no reason not to, if your rich.

I forgot earlier to mention Brenneke slugs, they are designed with both kinds of barrels in mind and have a good reputation for smoothbores.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: pintailhomes

I would have to tell you to shoot sabot slugs and rifled slugs both and see how they react to your gun. When it comes to slugs every gun "picks it's own." Buy several brands and sizes try them all.
No! Sabots are made for rifled barrels, and rifled slugs are made for smoothbores.

He would destroy his barrel if he did what you suggested!
I want to hear an explanation from the expert on how this could ruin a barrel.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:21 PM

I highly doubt it would ruin the barrel, but I don't think you would get very good accuracy out of it and cost wise it would be a waste in my opinion.

My only real concern would be the full choke. Most slugs are meant to be shot out of clylinder, improved cylinder or modified chokes which are not as constrictive as a full choke. Most any decent rifled slug should function out of a full choke, I would again question the accuracy though. The rifling on the slug is actually there to crush as it goes thru the choke at the end of the barrel. It doesn't really make the slug spin like most people think.

Sabot slugs are meant to be shot out of rifled bore with no constriction at all. They will not crush when the reach a constriction at the end of the barrel. So there is a possibility you may damage a full choke barrel shooting sabot rounds out of it. I personally have never heard of it, but I don't work in a gun store. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't happen.

I would suggest you buy several brands of rifled slugs and experiment to see what groups best out of your particular gun. No sense spending more money on fancy slugs if cheaper ones group better. The ballistics will be fairly simular for all of them in most cases.

My opinions any way.

Paul
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: pintailhomes

I would have to tell you to shoot sabot slugs and rifled slugs both and see how they react to your gun. When it comes to slugs every gun "picks it's own." Buy several brands and sizes try them all.
No! Sabots are made for rifled barrels, and rifled slugs are made for smoothbores.

He would destroy his barrel if he did what you suggested!
LOL -that is just non-sense.