Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.280?

Old 11-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .280?

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

The 280 is simply a 7mm mag want to be. It should aspire to be a 30-06. Unfortunately it does not compete there either. Why shoot a long action cartridge with short action abilities. Manufactures are dropping the 280 only because it does not sell. Why pay more for ammo that is harder to get, that does not perform as well. Tom.
Yeah it is only your opinion. That's easy to see since it obviously isn't based on reality.

I can make the case that the .280 is a better performer than the venerable '06. But, they are pretty close.

You can get factory loads for the .280 that retainalmost 2000 ft/lbs at 300 yards, which is the same as the best '06 loadin Federalscatalog, and drops about an inch or two less at the same range.

If you want to go out to 400 yards then the .280 is only about -17 to -18" low. Which is 7 or 8 inches less than the '06.

But it's splitting hairs to a certain extent. They are pretty close.

So, not only does the .280 compete, it keeps up and even surpasses the '06 depending on load.

If anything has "short action abilities" it's the .30-06. It's barelykeeping up with the likes of the .308, .270 and .280.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brutal attack you are right, it is splitting hairs on performance. However there is alot more to consider. I can buy 30-06 at any Wally World, or any MA & Pa corner store in rural NA, at a reasonable price. This is not the case with the 280. I know charts can be quoted, but the 284 dia. will not kill like the 308. Ask Craig Boddington or any other hunter(notice I said hunter not shooter), he will inform you about the additional killing power of the 308 caliber. Also if you ever want to resell your rifle, the 30-06 will be considerably more valuable. Just go ask any gun dealer. Again I only meant my remarks as an opinion, not to start an argument. I think if you want to bring out something new then it should have many advantages, and I just do not see any advantages gained by the 280. Now if you want to talk about a 7 WSM, I will agree whole heartedly with you. Tom.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brutal attack you are right, it is splitting hairs on performance. However there is alot more to consider. I can buy 30-06 at any Wally World, or any MA & Pa corner store in rural NA, at a reasonable price. This is not the case with the 280. I know charts can be quoted, but the 284 dia. will not kill like the 308. Ask Craig Boddington or any other hunter(notice I said hunter not shooter), he will inform you about the additional killing power of the 308 caliber. Also if you ever want to resell your rifle, the 30-06 will be considerably more valuable. Just go ask any gun dealer. Again I only meant my remarks as an opinion, not to start an argument. I think if you want to bring out something new then it should have many advantages, and I just do not see any advantages gained by the 280. Now if you want to talk about a 7 WSM, I will agree whole heartedly with you. Tom.
Any hunter will tell you that dead is dead. It's simple physics. You have a projectile of a knownmass traveling at a known velocity that generates X energy.

Modern big game bullets all perform well enough to take any north american game regardless of diameter. Expansionand performance isn't dependent on bullet diameter. If anything, 7mm bullets are more efficient which translates into more retained energy hence the higher ballistic coefficient of most 7mm bullets.

If you feel that a .308 bullet will "kill better" than a 7mm bullet than post something to that effect.

Opinions are basically worthless without some kind of fact backing them up.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack
Any hunter will tell you that dead is dead. It's simple physics. You have a projectile of a knownmass traveling at a known velocity that generates X energy.

Modern big game bullets all perform well enough to take any north american game regardless of diameter. Expansionand performance isn't dependent on bullet diameter. If anything, 7mm bullets are more efficient which translates into more retained energy hence the higher ballistic coefficient of most 7mm bullets.

If you feel that a .308 bullet will "kill better" than a 7mm bullet than post something to that effect.

Opinions are basically worthless without some kind of fact backing them up.

He he he........
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM

Oh no its a thompson center/ CVA war lmao... I've got my mind set and its going with the ruger m77 mark ll standard .280 I'll be buying some factory ammo and then buy the dies, bullets, cases and reload my own. I forget what bullet we use but its a "boat tail" We've had great luck with deer and elk with those bullets. I'll look for the heaviest bullet i can find. I like to use 160-165 grain bullets on elk with centerfire. Its been a LONG time since i shot my first elk with a center fire and i want to use my own gun this time lol. Also looks like it comes with a good recoil pad but i may put a Pachmayr recoil pad on it either way. Wal mart also sells some nicely priced nikon scopes. Maybe looking for a 3-12 power. It will be a while before i can buy the rifle but hey, Its never bad to plan ahead of time!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you trying to say that the 280 has a longer action than the 7MM Mag and 30-06? Debates between bullet sizez do not mean much umless you also know the velocity and SD of the bullet as well. If you use a 7MM bullet with a SD of 266 like the 150 grain Barnes and a 30 caliber bullet of the Same SD, in this case the 168 grain is very close, start them both a 2800 fps and at 400 yards, the 30 caliber bullet will have 120 lb more retained ME. The 30 caliber bullet is a bit heavier but both bullets have the same SD with the 7MM having a tiny edge. In the end the 30 galiber will perform a bit better because heavier bullets are available.This again with bullets of the same SD and equal velocity.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also if you ever want to resell your rifle, the 30-06 will be considerably more valuable. Just go ask any gun dealer.
Wrong. You obviously don't deal guns. Most gun values are based on rarity. Given a two guns of the same model in two different calibers; the gun in the rarer caliber will command a premium in almost every case. Sometimes that premium is a lot and sometimes it's small but it's almost always there.

Why would a caliber that can be had at "wally world" for $250 new be worth more used?

Better luck next time.

I think if you want to bring out something new then it should have many advantages, and I just do not see any advantages gained by the 280.
So I guess you don't see any advantage to a .270, 7mm-08, or any of the other superb 7mm cartridges?

The .280 is far from new, it's two years younger than the .270 and was the unfortunate victim of a nomenclature problem and extremely bad marketing.

The fact that it's even still around is a testament to it's ability to stand on it's own merit.

Hey I'm a .308 fan but even I recognize thata 7mm bullet in theoryis more ballistically effcient than a .308 bullet.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Hmmm $21 for a box of 20 rounds? I'll have to look around for bullets/cases and see what it will cost to reload. I may change my mind and go with a 30-06 Ruger.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frontier..if you want the best deal on a Nikon..check ebay! Easy pickings on there.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM

thanks doe, I'll go check that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.