Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet Overload?

Old 11-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bullet Overload?

It could also be a under load. Light loads of slow burning powder will cause drastic high pressure. The powder charge detonates instead of burning. This once happened to me with an underload of slow burning powder. It stuck the bolt shut big time and caused instant excess head spacing on that rifle. This to the point where it had to be re-head spaced. This load was taken from a major companies data but was not safe in my gun. Either way a good inspection is called for here.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I had this happen once in a 25-06 but with Winchester ammo. Give Federal a call on their customer service number. I'm sure they will want the lot # from your box of ammo and any remaining ammo from that box that you have. I would tell them what the gunsmith said about your rifle and ask them to reimburse you the cost for the gunsmith. They should also replace your box of ammo and give you some free stuff.

This is what happened when I contacted Winchester. They gave me a $100 voucher for ammo, a hat & T-Shirt, & reimbursed me $60 for having a gunsmith check the headspace and the function of the rifle.

Definitely, give Federal a call & don't let them go unnotified!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 AM

Do not under any circumstance fire anymore of that ammo in that box. Tape that box shut immediately. Now call Federal's customer service and explain to them what happened. If your rifle isn't cycling properly I would take it back to the gunsmith again and explain that to him. Then report back to us what you find out. I will be interested to see what Federal says and does. One piece of advice: Don't be confrontational at the onset. Give them a chance to do the right thing. Be nice and polite and tell them that you will continue to support their products in the future so long as they "do the right thing".
Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 AM

That particular box of ammo is in a safe place and will not be fired. It didn't group even remotely close besides the overloaded one. If I do not get a response back to my email today then I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here at the store we had a customer bring back a box of Federal .270 Win ammo that was doing this exact same thing. 150 grain nosler partition. Blowing primers out and sticking the bolt closed.

What is the lot number? The lot # on this box is (some squiggly line and then 41H66.

We have also had a few boxes of Federal ammo in 300WSM with missing primers andprimers that were seated but the cap was missing so that the priming compound and anvil was visible.

Seems that Federal needs to get their heads out of their butts and correct this ASAP before someone gets hurt.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

I would also contact Ruger. Send the rifle to them to check out for safety's sake. I wouldn't fire it again until Ruger blesses it off.

Federal will get back with you and Ruger's assessment of any damage would have more weight with them than most local gunsmiths.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM

This box is May 2006 lot #PMSA1. Federal never emailed me back today so I will call them tomorrow. Kelbro-that makes sense, I will call Ruger as well. I took it back to the gunsmith today because the bolt is acting a little funny and not closing properly. He noticed that the end of it looks like it got a little rough piece on it and he filed it smooth. Still feels a little funny to me though. He said what saved me was the vent hole on my gun so that it didn't force it back through the bolt. Is that true?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM

I wouldn't shoot that rifle again until Ruger has a look at it! You could have a fracture in the locking lugs or something like that which could be very hard to see with the naked eye! Maybe you shoot at a deer and the bolt sheer off and come back into your shoulder. It's just to dangerous. You were lucky the first time so don't push it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kulboy

Long time lurker, love the forum. Not quite sure if this is the correct category to post this under. I have a Ruger 270 that I have been shooting for 16 years now. I bought a bunch of different boxes of ammunition to take to the range to practice with.When I shot the5th bullet on the Federal 150gr nosler partition something felt really weird to me. My rifle shot forward to the right and up in the air. I looked through the scope and no bullet hole on the target. I wasn't for sure what happened but quickly found out when I went to pull back the bolt. It had locked up on me.

I took the gun to the gunsmith and he had to hammer the bolt up and out because it was not moveable by hand. Then he had to stick a rod down the barrel to get the cartridge out. He completely checked out my gun and said everything looked great. He said that it was definitely the bullet and said that it was an overload. What do you guys think? Could have there been a more serious outcome? I bought these because everyone says on here that they are the best. The gun shot fine after this but my bolt is not closing correctly now.

Obviously, that round was a significant overload! If you were using Federal FACTORY AMMO, you need to contact Federal immediately and give them the lot number of the ammo that did this, send them that picture, and STOP using ANY ammo from that lot!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:07 PM

They still have not responded to my email but they did return my phone call today. They asked me to send them the box and the bad cartridge. That was about it, I was pretty quiet because I wanted to see what they said. I guess I was expecting a little more.

Quick Reply: Bullet Overload?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.