Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Russian guns- who collects?

Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Russian guns- who collects?

I went shooting with my cousin today and his boss had alot of Russian Guns that we were shooting..

One of my favorites was a Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 Sniper- equivalent to an 8mm- this damn thing was dead nuts and it blew through a half inch plate of steel at 50 yards! Now thats impressive! He bought that gun last year for $80 and I found a place in my town that sells them.

I also shot a Chinese SKS- both guns were very nice to shoot and very accurate

I shot an AK-47 which I didnt like to much, nice gun but it wasnt very accurate- to short of a barrel. And I got to shoot a VERY old muzzleloader, that was really cool. Like a damn cannon!

I was just wondering when I go to this store to look/buy one what should I look for? Obviously besides one that looks like its in good condition. Not to familiar with guns but I can shoot very well!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 PM

Default RE: Russian guns- who collects?

I have a Russian M-44 in 7.62x54 and i love that little gun. I bought one at a gun show for $110 after seeing how my brothers performed. With that steel butt plate it does kick like a muel though, but it shoots very well and is extremely functionable. I am looking to get a scope mount for it that someone on here recommended. My only problem is the safety. It has to be the hardest safety to put on and off that i have ever messed with, with that in mind it is a "safety" though,

As far as the SKS goes I think the chinese are the best ones made, i have shot a couple and accuracy has always been good, plus there just a blast to shoot, get yourself a 30 round clip and you can sure have some fun, and they have virtually no kick at all,

good luck and hope this helps,
Old 10-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I shot a Chinese SKS today- they were telling me that some of the non-chinese ones have alot of stamped parts and they arent build as good-They had a ten round clip in it I think and they told me to fire off as fast as I can to see how I do- I hit my target 10 out of 10 times and thats my first time shooting one.

Time to go to the gun shop and "browse" around
Old 10-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mosin nagants- I had to go through about 5 or so of them to reach this bit of enlightenment- buy either:
A: a 91/30 that was made prior to the Soviet Union's involvement in WWII
B: If the 91/30 was made by TULA, even better (Tulas will have a large soviet star on the receiver, Tulas have higher quality than Ishevsk rifles, Ishevsks have an arrow inside a triangle on the receiver.
WWII 91/30 sniper rifles were all made by Tula.
C: a post war m44.
D: a 91/30, m44, or M38 in Excellent condition (note, someplaces sell rifles that are REFURBISHED to excellent condition, they look nice, but the bores are more often than not pitted) If you look at rifles at a Dunham's store, there will usually be a while plastic tag in the trigger guard put there by Century Arms, the importer- if it has an X at the end of the catalog number,its considered excellent condition and will be for all practical purposes, a new rifle- it will likely be a really good shooter.
E:A finnish M39, 91/30, or one of the rarer carbines. The Finns were nitpicky and put together very nice rifles from captured russian rifles.

SKS's- buy a Yugo. They cost around $100-150 which is about 1/2 of what a Russian model will cost. They are very well and solidly built.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

On HNI, I wouldn't say "damn" so often, the mods might get mad.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Briman- I will make sure that I looks for the ones you mentioned.Where are you from in Southern Wisconsin? Is there a good gun shop near you that has these guns?

Thanks younggun- haha
Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you from in Southern Wisconsin? Is there a good gun shop near you that has these guns?
I'm from just N of Milwaukee.
Do a search for a local Dunham's store, there should be some in Illinois. The closest to the Illinois border in Wisconsin are in Milwaukee and Janesville.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Ok Ill have to check it out- Thanks

I just want one of these guns to shoot coyotes with because they always try attacking myaunts dog and it was a BLAST to shoot