Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New To Forum and Question

Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 AM

Default New To Forum and Question

My question is, my friend has thrown up the idea of reloading for my .300 Win Mag, however, I do not want to, because I have found a cheap factory load that shoots well in my gun, what do I tell him? Am I crazy for not reloading?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 AM

Default RE: New To Forum and Question

It depends on what you want and how much time you want to save. If you want to have one ragged hole at 100 yards, you will have to reload. If shooting a 3 inch group at 100 yards is good enough for you then keep buying the cheap stuff. Do youshoot enough to justify reloading equipment? Reloading allows you to control all of the variables powder type and quantity, bullet type, overall length and many other factors.Reloading also takes alot of time. Gettingyour equipment set upandfinding the perfect load does not happen overnight. All of this is well worth it if you are an accuracy freak or have exotic caliber rifle.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 AM
bigcountry

I reload for over a dozen rifles and bunch of pistols. But recently found factory 204's shoot awesome in my encore. So I am not bothering for now.

If they shoot good, and you don't have that much spare time on your hands, buy factory.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 45/70 Govt.

My question is, my friend has thrown up the idea of reloading for my .300 Win Mag, however, I do not want to, because I have found a cheap factory load that shoots well in my gun, what do I tell him? Am I crazy for not reloading?
No you're not. There is beginning to be very little performance gain from handloads. Factory loads are highly sophisticatednow, with manufactures layering powders, shaping powders, chopping powder grains and then layering, and all sorts of techniques that aren't available to the handloader at home.

These advanced techniques result in large performance gains that handloaders simply can't duplicate.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 AM

Personally, I would never shoot someone else's handloads. If it is my face next to the receiver, it will be my hands making the rounds. That is just my preference. I would politely decline the offer.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are satisfied with the groups that the factory ammo shoots, if you don't shoot that often, and don't want to invest the time and money that handloading requires to personalize and refine your ammo, you probably would be better off to stick to the "store-bought" stuff.
If, however, at some point in time you should wish to make the plunge, I'm sure you will find it a sometimes frustrating but usually always rewarding way to spend your time and money.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Personally, I would never shoot someone else's handloads. If it is my face next to the receiver, it will be my hands making the rounds. That is just my preference. I would politely decline the offer.
10-4!

By the way, Welcome .45/70.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:46 PM

After heavily weighing both arguements for and against taking the plunge into reloading, I have decided not to, the reason being, why try to fix what ain't broken? I can get MOA and sometimes sub MOA out of the cheap factory stuff. Oh sure, maybe if I had a 30-378 then I would have to reload, but like some of you said, we live in a time where some of the factory stuff can't even be duplicated by a reloader. Plus I haven't seen any of my friends who reload get any richer by saving money. If a guy likes and is having good results, stick with it, but if you are having success with a factory cartridge that doesn't cost 40-50$ for a box, then just keep what works.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heeeeessssss baaaaaaaaackkkkk........
Old 10-30-2006, 03:06 PM

Pardon?

Quick Reply: New To Forum and Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.