Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun/ left eye dominant

Old 10-28-2006, 05:43 AM
Spike

Default shotgun/ left eye dominant

I determined my son (9 yrs old) is left eye dominant. I'm going to try to have him learn to shoot lefty so he won't have to use any aids or special methods. Because of the shell ejection issue, I'm leaning towards an O/U for him to start out with. Anyone have any opinions or input regarding this conflict (lefty/ shells ejecting right) for a youth gun? Thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 05:48 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: shotgun/ left eye dominant

Man thats a tough one. I am left eye dominant. And shoot with both hands with pistol, and right only with rifle/shotgun. I say go for it. Maybe that would have helped me be a better shotgunner. I believe he can always go back to right handed, but going from right handed after 20 years of shooting to left would be tougher. Let us know how it works out.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

This all you have to do and it doesn't interfere with the peripheral vision of the left eye, it just covers the pupil,

Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

I am a lefty shooter and have an 870 that is a righty and ejects on the right. I don't have any problem ejecting shells or anything. It might depend on the gun though. Just my .02
Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 AM

That wasone of the bigchallenges when I was a Drill Sergeant during Basic Rifle marksmanship phase. I called them "wrong eye'd"
I foundit was easier to train the other eye than the other hand. However, I employed trainingmethods your wife may not consider appropriate for you kid.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Left eye dominant/right handed myself. As a youngster dad tried to train me right but left just felt natural when shouldering a gun. He then deceided why fight nature, my first gun shotgun was 870 20 ga pump and haven't owned anything but RH shotgun since. I have never experiencedproblems with ejecting on right handed guns. I own 870, 1300, benelli nova and 7600 CF still today.

CF bolt I will only buy LH rifles now.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:35 PM

I'm also left eye dominant and right handed. I started out at a gun club shooting .22s right handed, then after some reading I decided to shoot left handed. Still with right-handed bolt actions though. I can shoot with either hand just fine. I'm probably going to get a right-handed rifle when I get one, though, as there always seems to be a worse selection of left-handed guns. If he is left-hand dominant, though, I'd say introduce him to shooting with both hands and let him choose which is more comfortable for him.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i help with a hunting camp for kids, and when we have kids like that we jus put a patch like rebel showed in there safety glasses to teach em that way.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Shootstuff4570

i help with a hunting camp for kids, and when we have kids like that we jus put a patch like rebel showed in there safety glasses to teach em that way.
Shootstuff4570 / Rebel Hog

I'm going to have to try that. Seems like too simple a solution. I've just always closed my left eye. When you use the patch on the glasses do you shoot with both eyes open?

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: first shot

ORIGINAL: Shootstuff4570

i help with a hunting camp for kids, and when we have kids like that we just put a patch like rebel showed in there safety glasses to teach em that way.
Shootstuff4570 / Rebel Hog

I'm going to have to try that. Seems like too simple a solution. I've just always closed my left eye. When you use the patch on the glasses do you shoot with both eyes open?

first shot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!
First shot, it is not a patch, it's a sticker the size of your pupil.

Try this: Close your right eye,pick a smallobject in the house (like a door knob), bring the ball of the left index finger as close to your left eye as possibleto cover the object, don't remove the finger yet, now open the right eye,with finger in place and both eyes opened you will have normal vision, but the Left Pupil is blocked and forces the righteye to be dominate and still have peripheral vision in the left.

I use a small price sticker the size of my pupil on the center of the lense.

Quick Reply: shotgun/ left eye dominant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.