Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun/ left eye dominant

Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shotgun/ left eye dominant

When I qualified on the M-16 in USCG bootcamp back in 1979, I shot had to qualify shooting lefty. Believe me, they tried to make me shoot righty. I just couldn't do it. I failed to qualify. Then they put an eye patch on my left eye, and I still failed to qualify. [&:] So they tore me to shreds, belittled me, call me every name the book... [&o] So, they clipped on some weird ejection port shroud and handed the M-16 back to me. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang....I easily qualified and just barely missed qualifying as sharpshooter!

Sometimes, you just learn to compensate. I have been shooting lefty for so long, I just can't shoot righty, and doubt if I ever really could.

Butch A.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

When I qualified on the M-16 in USCG bootcamp back in 1979, I shot had to qualify shooting lefty. Believe me, they tried to make me shoot righty. I just couldn't do it. I failed to qualify. Then they put an eye patch on my left eye, and I still failed to qualify. [&:] So they tore me to shreds, belittled me, call me every name the book... [&o] So, they clipped on some weird ejection port shroud and handed the M-16 back to me. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang....I easily qualified and just barely missed qualifying as sharpshooter!

Sometimes, you just learn to compensate. I have been shooting lefty for so long, I just can't shoot righty, and doubt if I ever really could.

Butch A.

Butch, we are talking Shotgun not Rifle, Shotgun you point you don't aim and you shoot with boths eyes open.If you are right handed with a left dominate eye and don't use something to cover the left pupil, you will be 3 to 4ft off your target!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know... I still shoot a shotgun lefty. I can't even shoot that righty! [&:] Even though I use both eyes open with a shotgun, I still shoot it lefty. What can I say.... I'm weird.

Butch A.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

I know... I still shoot a shotgun lefty. I can't even shoot that righty! [&:] Even though I use both eyes open with a shotgun, I still shoot it lefty. What can I say.... I'm weird.

Butch A.
No you're not weird, you just don't use Shooting Glasses, shame on you!

Oh by the way, when I went thru Cape May they were still using the M-1 Garand! I didn't have to go to the range cause I was in Victor Company (Prior Service).
Old 10-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot left and have no problem with the ejecting shells. Most of the time I don't even see them eject.