Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun/ left eye dominant

Old 10-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: shotgun/ left eye dominant

I'm a righty with a dominant left eye. I shoot left handed. I've been shooting too long to change. I was shooting an 870 but the empties kept landing in my lap or in the crook of my right arm. I bought a Browning BPS which ejects out the bottom and love it. They do offer a youth sized model too.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sparkysteve

I bought a Browning BPS which ejects out the bottom and love it.
Wise choice!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

I'm also left eye dom/right handed.Never had a problem with right handed guns.Even when I was in the army I shot that way.Tried changing,but couldn't train the right eye to take over.Finally had sergent told me to which back.SaidI shot better that way than most right hander's ever though of shooting.Shot 38 out of 40 on my final test.All my guns are right handers except my winchester model 94.Its pre 64 and it top ejects so it just throws the empties over my head.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 AM

Ithaca mod 37 or the Browning will solve your problem, as will any o-u or sxs and don't forget the single shot, which is the best training tool anyway. Helps young shooters learn to hit what they shoot at.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Ithaca mod 37 or the Browning will solve your problem, as will any o-u or sxs and don't forget the single shot, which is the best training tool anyway. Helps young shooters learn to hit what they shoot at.
You still will have to shoot left handed! Shooting a BRN BPS or Ithaca 37 only keeps the hulls from hitting your right arm when shooting left with right handed shotgun.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM

Guys I know everybody is different. But I've had the same 10/22 rifle and 870 shotgun since I was 12, maybe even before. I stand nearly 6'2" now and at no time, then or now, has shooting left-handed ever been a problem for me with either. Lord knows my form and the positions I've shot in have been all over the charts since I was a kid.

Its funny the thing I hate most about shooting left-handed actually comes from SxS and O/U. After all these years those little levers on top never seem to learn. They must be pretty dumb
Old 10-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Troutman10

I am a lefty shooter and have an 870 that is a righty and ejects on the right. I don't have any problem ejecting shells or anything. It might depend on the gun though. Just my .02
Same here... I was taught to shoot however it felt comfortable to me (lefty) and used righty guns. I am naturally left eye dominant, so I just got used to shooting right handguns/shotguns/rifles/etc...

The ejecting shells are not an issue with a pump action, lever action, or bolt action. But with a semi-auto, yeah... there is a chance of getting biffed by an ejecting shell case. I remember my dad teaching me to just angle my right elbow and forearm down a little bit and that was all it took.

Butch A.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

First shot, it is not a patch, it's a sticker the size of your pupil.

Try this: Close your right eye,pick a smallobject in the house (like a door knob), bring the ball of the left index finger as close to your left eye as possibleto cover the object, don't remove the finger yet, now open the right eye,with finger in place and both eyes opened you will have normal vision, but the Left Pupil is blocked and forces the righteye to be dominate and still have peripheral vision in the left.

I use a small price sticker the size of my pupil on the center of the lense.
It works! Well I'll be d--m. Now I got to pick me up some shooting glasses, a price sticker& some clays and drag out the old JC Higgins 12 guage pump!! I could always hit those coming at you or going away shots, but the crossing shots were always tough, even shooting with the left eye closed. Gona have to wait till after deer season though!! LOL

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have found that over time, I have automatically compensated for being wrong eyed (right handed/left eye dominant). That said, if my son is left eye dominant, I will start him right off shooting left handed.

I think it's a great idea to look at the O/U or even Side by Side option; or even single shot. That way, if every he wanted to shoot right handed, despite his strong left eye, you/he won't have to buy a new gun.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: firstshot

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

First shot, it is not a patch, it's a sticker the size of your pupil.

Try this: Close your right eye,pick a smallobject in the house (like a door knob), bring the ball of the left index finger as close to your left eye as possibleto cover the object, don't remove the finger yet, now open the right eye,with finger in place and both eyes opened you will have normal vision, but the Left Pupil is blocked and forces the righteye to be dominate and still have peripheral vision in the left.

I use a small price sticker the size of my pupil on the center of the lense.
It works! Well I'll be d--m. Now I got to pick me up some shooting glasses, a price sticker& some clays and drag out the old JC Higgins 12 guage pump!! I could always hit those coming at you or going away shots, but the crossing shots were always tough, even shooting with the left eye closed. Gona have to wait till after deer season though!! LOL

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Firstshot, at the National's at Camp Perry and the US Black Powder Team use a glassesclamp on with a Black Dot that you can move down over the eye pupil you want to block.

Quick Reply: shotgun/ left eye dominant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.