Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My camp burnt down, must replace my rifle...

Old 10-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My camp burnt down, must replace my rifle...

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I say you should switch to a 7mm-08. Here's a link:

members.tripod.com/sed88/rem7/

Don't start hawking your bastardized cartridge.

Seriously, they are close in performance but it's not worth the switch simply for the .308factory offerings and gun selection.

See this thread:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1742914

for the full disscusion.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered a single shot? I like the #1's, and the high walls in traditional caliber's. How about a lever action? I hunt alot in the woods and like fast handling lever actions for quick action, and single shots for stand hunting. Just a different idea, what type of hunting do you do? I do like the 308, but only with the heavier bullets(165 and up). I own alot of rifles(I believe you never have enough rifles), If I only had one it would be an 1886 Winchester in 45-70. Tom.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your camp burning. As for your choice of rifles I would recommend buying exactly what you lost which is the micro abolt. Whereas the Tikka is an excellent rifle youneed to realize that the T3 only comes in a long action so chambering a short cartridge in that seems wrong to me. Also already owning other Abolts then the feel of another would be almost second nature. Besides if you are replacing an item with the same thing your insurance adjuster likely won't think twice about other items in your claim.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

What about another cabin???
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

308...you can't go wrong...plenty of variety, availability & proven performance!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 AM

Once again, thank you everyone who has responded. The only thing that I lost that was not replacable was a quilt that was made for me by my late grandfather many years ago. We are thankful to be alive, and realize that all of the equipment lost is just stuff and know that it can be replaced. It has been about a month since the fire and I still am waiting on the insurance company. I am starting to think that this season is a wash, as I lost ALL of my hunting equipment. I am thankful though that I will be around next year to do what I enjoy most, hunt!

Fat-Arrow

Oh yeah, I have decided to go with the Browning A-bolt in .308. I am sure more question will follow as I replace other lost items.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

What about another cabin???
We are working on that as a club right now. We will rebuild before next year though.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fat-Arrow

Once again, thank you everyone who has responded. The only thing that I lost that was not replacable was a quilt that was made for me by my late grandfather many years ago. We are thankful to be alive, and realize that all of the equipment lost is just stuff and know that it can be replaced. It has been about a month since the fire and I still am waiting on the insurance company. I am starting to think that this season is a wash, as I lost ALL of my hunting equipment. I am thankful though that I will be around next year to do what I enjoy most, hunt!

Fat-Arrow
Sorry to hear you lost a family heirloom. I wish those were as easy to replace as guns.

Maybe someday your new gun will become a family heirloom to your grandkids and then you will truely have "replaced" a family treasure!

God bless!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack
Sorry to hear you lost a family heirloom. I wish those were as easy to replace as guns.

Maybe someday your new gun will become a family heirloom to your grandkids and then you will truely have "replaced" a family treasure!

God bless!

[/quote][/quote]

You know what is funny, I never brought that quilt anywhere after I finished college. It just sat in the closet in a bag, because I was afriad something would happen to it. But, it was supposed to be cold that weekend and I thought it would be nice to have at night. Before that weekend I hadn't taken it anywhere since 1992 when I came home from college...

Funny how something so simple could mean so much to a grown man. And yes, I agree, someday my grandkids will inherit my guns, but that can't replace the quilt. Thank you for your kind words.

Fat-Arrow
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Well, I bought the Abolt in Stainless Stalker, stuck with the .308 caliber too. I am putting a Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10X40 on it. Had to order the scope, so I should have the rifle by the end of the week. I was going to put the 1.5-6X36 4200, but decided that I was instead going to also buy a dedicated "brush" gun, probably a 7600 rem or a lever of some sort. Anyhow, thanks for all the opinions and advice. It is greatly appreciated!

Fat-Arrow