Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A little too much ( 1911 crap )

Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A little too much ( 1911 crap )

ORIGINAL: Dan in Alaska

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the "Gun Tests" publication so far.

http://www.gun-tests.com/
Yes. They do a pretty good job of staying independent...

My son at the range, assisting in a "Gun Tests" test:

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/11_12/features/4478-1.html
Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 AM

I'm sorry ipscshooter, I wasn't trying to imply they weren't reliable. It was just my understanding that that was the one trade-off to their accuracy. That since things (barrels) "fit tighter" you have better accuracy BUT you don't have the little bit of play like you do in some of the other defense handguns that allows shells to go ahead and feed even if things are quite the same time after time. Like I mentioned before, my knowledge on auto handguns has been strictly hear-say from here and other forums and "the guys" back home. I do try to take it all with a grain of salt though.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter
[And, that's why USPSA had to start a "special" classification within which the Glocks, HK's, S&W's, etc., could compete among themselves instead of against the 1911's. 1911's dominate competitionsfor a reason, and it's got nothing to do with who is paying for a favorable review...
I'll go along with a 1911 having an edge in many games. They're quicker with the first shot than most designs. But for most uses, I'm not so sure they're any better. There are modern designs that are probably a bit more dependable and trouble free.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:18 PM

ipscshooter, that's pretty cool. Anytime you get to shoot someone else's bullets is a good time.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Dan in Alaska

ipscshooter, that's pretty cool. Anytime you get to shoot someone else's bullets is a good time.

Yeah, it was pretty cool. He got to shoot all of the guns that were being tested that day. One of the guys whodoes tests for the magazine was a regular at the local USPSA matches and invited Travis to shoot. He was particularly interested in his assessment of fit and recoil from the compact pistols that were being tested.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

And I don't think a 1911 would fair too poorly in a straight endurance test *unless* the number of jams was part of it.
The only 1911s that jam are the ones that incorrectly manufactured, are shooting substandard ammunition, or have been 'improved' by bubba and his dremmel tool.

I know that a lot of people don't want to hear it, but a 1911 that is put together right is just as good if not better than a Glock.

As far full page color advertising goes, who would you rather look at on a regular basis- Miss America (the 1911) or Rosie O'Donut (the Glock)[8D]
Old 10-27-2006, 09:46 PM

John Browning was a geinus no doubt, but Gaston Glock has bested him at this game! I've been introduced to several 1911's and owned two myself, but I still haven't met a truly dependable 1911 yet. I have had one jam with a glock, a badly buldged case that failed to go into battery. And come to think of it my Kel Techs are very dependable also. My nephew is a deputy in Harris Co Tx. and has three 1911's, he comes to visit every year and brings them with him. He always has some malfunctions and the story is always the same, I'll get that fixed when I get back to Texas, but he also has two Hi powers and they never miss a lick!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess maybe I've been spoiled by the shooting crowd I hang with. I've probably been witness to a million rounds or mroe through competitors' 1911's and 1911 clones, and very rarely see a hiccup. Maybe it's just the fact that USPSA/IPSC shooters tend to take better care with their weapons and their loads than most shooters, but, my experience has been that, at least on a competitive level,1911's don't jam any more than anything else.

Maybe 1911's are finicky with regard to the ability to digest lots of different loads. We tend to find a good load and stick with it. Like I said before, I had problems with feeding my first time out with a new pistol, but cured the problem by adjusting the OAL of my loads from 1.25 to 1.246, and haven't had a jam since, while shooting 150+ rounds per week for 4 years.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 PM

1911's not reliable? You guys don't know what you're talking about.

I once shot a course of fire that look 400 rounds to shoot. Then my buddy and Itraded guns and shot the same course without cleaning. Not one malfunction out of either gun.My weapon was a double stack 1911 and my buddies was a single stack 1911. The reason we switched was to compete in two classes; limited and limited 10. I own glocks, sigs, H&K's, S&W's, Rugers.... They are all fine weapons no doubt, just don't try to run downthe 1911.Don't try to piss on my head and tell me its raining!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 PM

Briman, why do so many 1911 shooters practice stoppage clearance drills, cause they have to! The Glock may not be Miss America, but Miss Universe, I suppose would be a more fitting title! The 1911 is more of a hotrod, and has to be kept tuned to perfection in order to work reliably. In other words it's a toy that is used in those shooting games,not carried for serious work. I know some ,not many departments allow the carry of 1911's, not because of the single action design, but because they are so unreliable if not pampered, and also because of their finicky appitite for ammo. I do also know that if you can afford to spend $1500-$3500 for a custom shop gun it will serve well, but why not just outfit your whole family with a glock each and have much better guns and more of them! It's kinda like cars, back in 1968 I bought a chevy and by 100000 mi. it was ready for the junk yard, in 1988 I bought a chevy thuck, it has 235000 miles and is still going strong! The 1911 was king in it's day but that was many years ago, the 1911 is the recurve bow, glock is the compound ! Are you pissed yet

Quick Reply: A little too much ( 1911 crap )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.