Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why do you practice so much

Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default why do you practice so much

Some of you are over the top on practicing.
Do you really need to shoot that much. I could see if you were shooting 500 yds regularly you would want to learn your gun. But why buy a magnum and then shoot a 100yds a 1000 times a month. Jeeeeeeez
I learned to shoot a gun a long time ago, i havent forgoten. I go to the range check sight in and call it good. I regularly shoot deer 200 +yds without a hitch and I never "practice"My 9 year old son made a 195 yd shot on a deer last year. Do you find it that difficult to shoot or what ?
I hit them right in the neckif within a 125 yds
Its not that difficult to shoot a gun with a scope. Why so much practicing.
Even with my bow I only take it out before season and practice a little and take a few shots at deer camp. some bowhunters just keep shooting and shooting and shooting. Why ?
My gun and bow are just a tool, and I am very proficient with both
Now if you just like to blast gun powder,,, OK say that. But practicing ?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why do you practice so much

was this posted by zrex or Allen Iverson???? Practice? I cant believe your making this bigga deal about practice.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Some of you are over the top on practicing.
Do you really need to shoot that much. I could see if you were shooting 500 yds regularly you would want to learn your gun. But why buy a magnum and then shoot a 100yds a 1000 times a month. Jeeeeeeez
I learned to shoot a gun a long time ago, i havent forgoten. I go to the range check sight in and call it good. I regularly shoot deer 200 +yds without a hitch and I never "practice"My 9 year old son made a 195 yd shot on a deer last year. Do you find it that difficult to shoot or what ?
I hit them right in the neckif within a 125 yds
Its not that difficult to shoot a gun with a scope. Why so much practicing.
Even with my bow I only take it out before season and practice a little and take a few shots at deer camp. some bowhunters just keep shooting and shooting and shooting. Why ?
My gun and bow are just a tool, and I am very proficient with both
Now if you just like to blast gun powder,,, OK say that. But practicing ?
We practice because we love the sport and will take advantage of any oppurtunity to get out and enjoy the sport, obviously you don't love the sport, and just use a gun as a tool to hunt with.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

I 'practice' nearly every weekend. Usually we make it interesting and try all different conditions. One weekend it is just a grid target at 100 yds off a bench. The next, we go out to the public land around here and set up a safe area where we can shoot inmore realistic "hunting" conditions. We will set deer/elk targets up at varying distances and practice vital shots. Plus we do some "Bunny Bopping" and pick off jack rabbits in the west desert. (They are considered varmints here in Utah.) We shoot constantly!!

Reason

I have yet to loose a deer. always placed a perfect vital shot
I do this out of respect for the game I’m hunting. I hate it when I here of people giving up on tracking after a couple of hours, then they find the deer the next day, ravaged by yotes.
It's fun and I’m always tinkering with my loads to see what is optimal (right now 67Gr of RL 22 pushing a 140 gr sierra (target) or TSX (hunting)[/ol]
This is why I practice so much. And I thank you for being proficient, as you say, with your bow. I have seen way too many deer get tossed out because a crap shot bow hunter stuck him in the rear and the thing lived only to get infected and festered up!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I enjoy the preperation almost as much as the hunt itself, this includes practicing shooting, calling and of course scouting. Since we're talking about shooting I also like the social aspect of chatting/hanging with fellow sportsman as well as getting confidence in my equipment, meanwhile testing different things such as bullets/powder, broadheads and so forth. My membership to the local range is for an annual fee, so might as well use it. Not to mention come close to hunting seasonI don't have to worry about standing in line for a bench and can put my time into scouting or hunting instead.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Magnum_Man

We practice because we love the sport and will take advantage of any oppurtunity to get out and enjoy the sport, obviously you don't love the sport, and just use a gun as a tool to hunt with.
Theres the sport of shooting and the sport of hunting. Are you really practicing or just shooting. cause practicing wouldnt be punching the same hole at a 100 yds. Practicing would be shooting different yardages and trying to estimate those yardages or taking a tire with a bullseye and rolloing down a hill and trying to nail it. Shooting up hill and down hill things like that. Not going to the range and shooting over and over and over at a 100 yds. thats just shooting.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are missing thefact that some people actually enjoy shooting as a pastime.I would rather spend a couple of hours at the range than on a golf course.And naturally,the more that you shoot,the more competent that you become.I hunt several different species under different conditions,so I am presented with shots at distances varying from 20 yards to well over 400 yards.If you don't practise,you will likely still be competent out to 100 yards or 200 yards,but you won't stay competent at 400 yards or 500 yards unless you shoot on a regular basis.A small error in shootingform or in wind estimationmakes little difference at 100 yards,but by 400 yards,it can make the difference between a clean kill and a miss.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:57 PM

I don't practice much, but don't hold anything against those who do.
I like to keep my shots under 200 yards, 300 feels like a stretch and that probably reflects myrelatively low level of practice.

When it comes to living in the big city, easy practice opportunities are a problem.

Large game critters with a high power scoped rifle don't really require a lot of skill at reasonable ranges, especially if there is even a modicum of a rest involved.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my other vice

Quick Reply: why do you practice so much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.