Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mausers: need some help

Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mausers: need some help

Ok, I ran into a deal that I couldn't pass up on a bunch of guns. Anyhow there are 3 mausers actioned rifles in the bunch and I have no idea what they may be, or what they may be worth. All are in excellent condition with scopes, slings, and hard cases. One looks to be rebarreled and has the stamp of 6mm on the barrell, so I have to assume it is.
2 say Deutche Waffen Und Munitions, fabriken berlin Model 1908...no calibers and I have no idea what they are or how to figure it out. One has a BIG hole, like probably 8mm, the other isa little smaller than my .280 but no idea. Mabybe a .270 or 6.5? One looks exactly like the two DWMs but no writing, only stamps and symbols.

I am NOT a gun expert by any means, and don't really even know anyone that is familiar with Mausers. Any advice on how to find out what I have, and what they are worth? I will probably sell 2 of them and keep one. They are all really nice though. I also got some other really nice guns in the deal, 8 in all. The guy that sold them to me doesn't know either...he bought the bunch (10 at that time) from a guy hard up for money who was selling his deceased fathers gun collection. Wow.

Anyhow, any advice as to who to talk to or how to go about finding out what I have and the values would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mausers: need some help

Pictures?
Or at least some descriptions of the crests, if any, or distinguishing items like sights, bayonet lugs,etc. ....
Describe any markings and/or symbols, like a diamond shape with letters inside ...
Old 10-07-2006, 03:14 AM

it depends on whether they have been rebarrelled or worked on, of course, but i suspect that the smaller of the "1908" mausers will be chambered for 7 x 57mm. we'd need more detail, butit could possibly be abrazilian commisioned mauser. spain, and parts of south america, used the 7x57 as their military cartridge. germany, however,went for the 8 x 57. so you might have one of each.

there were mausers in 6.5 x 55( swedish), but as far as i know none were built in germany. most came out of Carl Gustaf in sweden, and i don't think they were 1908 models, although i could be wrong.

in any event, i am envious of your good fortune to obtain such a collection. good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:53 AM

2 were obviously made in Germany. Send photos of the crests on the receiver rings if there are any.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. Sorry it took so long for me to get back, been away.
I did a little research on the net and found that the crest on at least 2 are Brazilian Mausers (based on the crest)---the model 1908's. But they say Germany, so that is kinda weird, I guess Germany was making them for them. Anyhow, I don't have a camera to take pics of them right now. Any idea how I can find out what caliber they are? Would a gunshop be able to tell, or would I have to take them to a gunsmith? They are in VERY good shape, like new in fact. I'm curious as to what they might be worth. I'm thinking they have to be worth $400 each....or am I way off base? They all have scopes (cheap but new), slings and cases.
They are cool guns no doubt. I think I'll keep one and sell 2 most likely....once I get all that figured out.

Also, they are all 3 sporterized. I know that doesn't really add value, but they are nice. They really all look like new.
Are there any websites that I might be able to find out how much they might be worth....based on what they are? Or do you think I might have to deal with a gunshop/gunsmith for all of that?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:54 PM

To know the exact cartridge, you should have the chambers casted. A good gunsmith can do this pretty cheaply. They take a cast of the chamber, and then measure it to find out what cartridge it takes. I would strongly reccomend this if you are not 100% positive what it is. You could mic the bbl at 7mm, but who is to say it IS 7X57 for sure and not rechambered to a different 7mm round. Good luck