Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many of you shoot until it drops?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Default RE: How many of you shoot until it drops?

What do you think the second bullet is going to do that the first one didn't? Other than mess up more meat. Dead is dead. If your first shot was a lethal shot then the deer will die, putting more bullets in it probably won't speed this up any.

I bow hunt as well, so I am used to making the first shot count then waiting to track the animal so I don't bump it and make it run farther. And when I gun hunt there really isn't time for a second shot. The deer either drops or runs and I don't have time to recover from the shot, aim and shoot before it's gone. I am better off taking the shot and watching the reaction of the animal and where it goes.

Besides both of my hunting guns are single shots anyway, an H&R ultra slug gun and a remington inline muzzle loader. I do have an A-5 smooth bore or a back up though.

Paul
Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Spike

I think Paul nailed it. If the first shot was good, I'll only start slinging follow-ups on elk.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Keep in mind I am only talking about deer. I have no experiance on elk or other larger game. And these are only my opinions, nothing more. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. It really boils down to what makes you feel comfortable at the time.

Paul
Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 AM

On deer I tend not to make a 2nd shot. Most deer I shoot are in the head or neck anyway so they expire immediately (within 100yrds). I make sure my initial shot is well placed and the deer usually goes down or doesn't go more than a few yards...
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM

Depends on the situation. When I'm elk hunting, I shoot until they're down, unless I know for a fact that I hit them hard in both lungs or the heart. I've heard many a tale about elk being hit in just one lung, the liver, ect and they weren't able to recover the animal until several days later when the ravens found it or they weren't able to recover it at all. Elk have a lot more meat than deer too, so its not quite as big a deal to put more than one bullet in them IMO. A family friend once told me that on elk, the best thing you can do is crowd the shoulder on your shot- if you hit just behind, you get the vitals, if you hit the shoulder the elk might not die right away but it won't be able to go anywhere and you can put another round in the boiler room to finish the job.

When I'm hunting deer and antelope, however, I only shoot once. They dont' stand up to my 7mm Rem Mag nearly as well as elk. The only time I'd ever consider making a follow up shot is if I knew I hit it too far back or I was on the edge of the reservation. I've never had either problem, though, so for me one shot is all that's necessary.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will shoot till the critter I am after is down, 97% of the time there is no need for a follow shot.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto to what Paul just said above. Man, I can't believe you guys. Take your time, make a good first shot and track the profuse blood trail. What's 2...3...4 shots going to do that the first one didn't...assuming you took your time and made the first shot a good one! Otherwise neck shoot them under the ear and be done with it. You won't have to track them at all then!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
DM

Ditto to what Paul just said above. Man, I can't believe you guys. Take your time, make a good first shot and track the profuse blood trail. What's 2...3...4 shots going to do that the first one didn't...assuming you took your time and made the first shot a good one!
If onlywe allhad one of you guys little "crystal balls" that aftera shotwe could look into it and see EXACTLY whereour bullet hit!! Thenwe could sit back not worry that "something" just could have went wrong!!

I not only shoot untill they go down, i make sure i use enough bullet to know it will drive in deep on those angle away shots to get into the vitals. (notice i said "bullet" and not gun)

This is why i use NP's for 99% of my big game hunting, i want my bullets to open fast, but still drive deep and hopefully go on through...

DM
Old 09-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had to. Most of the deer I have taken were dead before I could get another round in my chamber and sight in on them. Not that I am special or good I just take my time and try like hell to make a good shot !!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Spike

im amazed at how many gunners will brag about 1/2 groups at 100 yards then fill an animal with lead. how about shot placement where they don't run away?have hunted for 30 plus years now and for the last 20 only one shot drops even on some record book animals.

Quick Reply: How many of you shoot until it drops?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.