Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Hunter

Old 09-24-2006, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Hunter

Um, because it's ILLEGAL!!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Younggun I don't know where you are from but befroe you make a statment like that you should check the laws of diff. states I will repeate the statment for you sence you did not read it the FISRT time the state that I kive in you CAN hunt turkey with a .22 . God I wish people would READ the post before they shoot there mouth off.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that in spite of the fact that it is legal in your state to hunt turkey with a .22, it would be better to use a shotgun because alot of states only allow shotguns, and in a region the state laws can vary tremendously on most aspects of hunting laws.
For example, on treestand laws, in Alabama I believe it is that you are only required to wear hunter orange headwear, but in Tennesse, you still have tohave 500 square inches of hunter orange(maybe it was 400) on you in the treestand. There are similar situations in turkey hunting. From what I understand, moststates require you to use a shotgun, and if youwant to be able to hunt turkeyanywhere inamerica, youshoulduse a shotgun.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no turkey hunting law that states that you can't hunt with a shotgun. I guess a plus of having a .22 would be that you wouldn't have to dress up in so much camo as you would with shotgun hunting. However, as I stated before, if you want to hunt anywhere you want to for turkey, get a shotgun.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

here it is again this is the post for you to READ!!!!!

Quote)Rob who said that you have to huut turhey with a shotgun I have been shooting them with a 22. mag for years. and if I have my 6.5 you head shoot them I still don't know why every body need to shoot 12 bb size shot at a turkey and put a lot of holes in it when you can do my motto one shot one kill. I know in a lot of states you have to use a shotgun but not where I live

The bottom line states that a lot of states do NOT let you hunt with a 22. But I know of at least 7 states that you can use a 22 .

That is the end of this post for me. God what a meat head

Rob check the laws in you're state and hunt with what you want and don't worry about what this guy said.. Good luck hunting

By the way welcome to the forum younggun
Old 09-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you didn't read my last post,
I quote:

"From what I understand, moststates require you to use a shotgun, and if youwant to be able to hunt turkeyanywhere inamerica, youshoulduse a shotgun.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no turkey hunting law that states that you can't hunt with a shotgun."

You have showed me that there are 7 states that do allow rifle hunting for turkey, and I have absolutely no argument to that.

What I say to Rob is this : Because you can legally hunt turkey with a shotgun in every state in the United States, if you would want to hunt turkey in any state you want, you should get a shotgun, because only 7 states in America allow hunting with a .22.

I am just saying that if you want to hunt in any state, including ones that don't allow turkey hunting with a .22, which are the majority, you should get a shotgun, which is accepted as a method for harvesting turkey in all states.

I hope this clarifys everything, and I do sincerly thank you for welcoming me to the forum, you are the first one, and I am privileged to be able to be in such an excellent hunting community.

God Bless!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:37 PM

Hunting turkey with a rifle is a bad idea, not because you can't kill a turkey with it but because you risk killing other hunters.On public land it is very often that multiple hunters appreach the same gobbleing turkey. I would much rather be shot at 100 yards with #4 turkey load than 22 Mag, or god forbid 243.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I have done the .22 thing on my property, but illegal on FL WMA's.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Magnum_Man_300

Savage Package Gun in .270
I hope you aren't suggesting that he gets a .270 for hunting turkey.
That would go straight through the turkey and hit another hunter 50 yards away, if not closer. It would work good for hogs and deer, but for turkey it's out of the question.
I frankly am not a fan of Savage, I hate their bolts on the bolt actions, heck, you have toSPLAP the bolt up in postition in order to pull it back.[:@]
Very accurate rifle though, good for those who only live by "one shot, one kill" (I'm not saying one shot,one kill is bad mind you ,renfrowridge.)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

younggun No problem we each have our way of hunting. I look at hunting a little different because I own my own land about 200 acres and most people don't have that and must hunt on public land or get a lease where they are a lot of people hunting. But yes I agree the .270 is not a turkey gun for sure.

Quick Reply: New Hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.