Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BPS, 870, Nova...which to choose???

Old 09-20-2006, 12:27 AM

Default BPS, 870, Nova...which to choose???

I'm wanting a 12 gauge 3.5" for waterfowl upland and maybe turkey and deer in the future. I know I need an all around gun but am wondering if the bps is worth the extra money, i've pretty muchdecided on an 870 super magnum in black with a 28"barrel, a local dealer has a new one for $330. I can pick up a bps for more, but not sure if it's worth it. I'm also wondering about whether or not to get it in camo, kinda worried about the camo scratching off. Also, remington is offering 30 bucks back and browning is offering 75 off a 3.5 bps..

thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BPS, 870, Nova...which to choose???

My opinion is that the BPS is the best pump shotgun made today, and one of the best ever made.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:22 PM

I agree with the above. All are good guns no doubt about it, but in my personal opinion the BPS is just a better gun. However like said it does cost more. I think the Nova's are about the ugliest gun ever made, but they function well.

If it matters to you the 870 is made in the USA. As are mossberg.

Have you considered Mossberg? Their magnums are pretty nice.

Paul
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM

First off I don't care for the Nova. Awkward, slow, and heavy to me. The bps and 870 are both good choices. If you get the 870, either pay the extra for the wingmaster or get a camo'd model, because their finish is way easier to keep clean than a black express model. I don't think you get your moneys' worth out of browning guns. They're good, just too much for what you get. By getting an 870 you get way more aftermarket options, chokes etc; but with the browning you have bottom ejection to make collecting spent shells easier. Probably a toss up for you--see what you like in both guns, and which balances better for you.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

My opinion is that the BPS is the best pump shotgun made today, and one of the best ever made.
I agree. My father has an 870 express... and it's a good gun also. There's more 870s out there than any other shotgun.

Browning BPSstarts about $400 new... These are more in line w/ the Remington Wingmasters in the fit/finish dept such as high polish blueing and nice wood (Walnut)... which run $500+. So the Browning is actually cheaper than a comparable Remington. The 870 Express is a cheapened gun w/ cheaper (beech?)wood and a cheap no polish blue job... which tends to rust easily.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned all the guns you mentioned and its a no-brainer. BPS

Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 AM

I went back to another gun dealer, and I'm probably going to go with him, he's the remmington mechanic for about a 400 mile diameter, and he fixes just about everything free. My goal is to spend no more than 450, and he qouted me a 870 super mag 28" black synthetic and a pattern master for 450 including tax. I could not get the pattern master and get the 30" waterfowl 870 for 410 from him I guess, but i've been told that i pretty much need a pattern master for waterfowl. Is30" to long forpheasant/dove hunting?I like the nova and browning, but i'd feel like i'm paying an extra for the name. Also the browning is more complicated with it's bottom eject and that's just more to go wrong, and Im just plain not fond of the nova. I understand that it's more work to keep the black gun clean and rust free, but i've been told that the camo can scratch off. thanks for all the help.

kris
Old 09-21-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoever told you that you need a patternmaster to shoot waterfowl is smoking something.. Out of my Brownings and Benellis I shoot the standard IC choke tube (which is a mod wihen shooting steel shot), and they both pattern like a dream. I used to have an 870 and it didn't pattern any steel shot worth a darn, so maybe your friend was right telling you to get a patternmaster choke for an 870....LOL

Also - My shotguns all wear 24" barrels, except for my Citori (28") and one of my BPSs (26").
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 PM

First of all, thanks for all the input, it's very helpful. I'm leaning towards the camo shadowgrass version of the 870 supermag with a 30 inchbarrel. I keep thinking i'm pidgeon holing myself by getting a 30" and won'tbe able to hunt upland game with it easily. But the shadowgrass only comes in a 30" for the 870 and the dealer told me they aren't making the camo version of the supermag with the 26 or 28 inch anymore. Is 30 just to much for upland, or should i just suck it up, by the 30 inch and then get a shorter barrel for upland/turkey and whatnot? Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 PM

You'll be fine with a 30". I do most of my hunting with either 26 or 28 inch bbls, and have no trouble at all.

Quick Reply: BPS, 870, Nova...which to choose???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.