Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I Screwed Up BIG Time

Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Default I Screwed Up BIG Time

I'm so PI____ I went to the range today and shot my savage 270 I just took off the Bushnell 3x-9x ,32 scope and put on a Simmons 3x-9x ,40 . Bore sited it dead on with the laser at home at 25 feet like the book says to do well at the range at 50 yards 1 to 1 1/2 inches to left. Dead on up and down and the windage is turned all the way. All 5 shots could touch a quarter . How can I fix it??????? The Bushnell scope was dead on I just wanted a better scope .
On the positive side my b.p. shoots dead in at 75 yards with no scope.

Thanks
ICE-MAN
Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I Screwed Up BIG Time

Did you change mounts,or just the scope?What type of bases and rings are you using?I would try putting the bushnell back on and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM

I only took the top of the mount off they are the Luepold see threw
Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first thing that I would do is to throw the see through mounts away and get some decent mounts.The see though mounts are very flimsy and have a reputation for not holding zero.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 PM

If the Bush worked ok I would suspect Simmons, not mounts. We quit selling Simmons many years ago due to quality problems.

If it is mounts, I assume they are the type that mount on a rail(Weaver Style), not the windage adjustable(Redfield Type). If this is correct you might tryturning on of the mounts 180 deg. If this works or takes it too far the other way, you probably have a bent mount.

I am not a fan of see-thru mounts, not stable, so high they bend easy.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remounting the bushnell will prove if it is the scope or the mounts.However,I would still replace the mounts due to them being so unreliable.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM

I think that you should put the bushnell back on. I do not know what kind of bushnell that you have, but I have a bushnell elite 3200 and a simmons 44 mag. The bushnell is great and the simmons is a pile of crapolie.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are against the wall on adjustment, then that is a problem. The bushnell may have more adjustment than the Simmons. I think you have a bad mount, get rid of see through. Tom.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

something doesnt make sense here. did you have to use that much adjustment to bore sight that you are at the stops on the scope? I agree with the "get rid of the see thru" mounts. Get a windage style mount like the redfield or leupold, get you scope adjustments to center by counting the clicks in both directions. Mount the scope and use the windage on the rear mount to get your bore sight right/left. If elevation is a problem you can use tape to shim for small adjustments. I use scotch as it is very thin, this also protects the scope from marring at the rings. This takes some time with alot of off/on to get it where you want it but once complete you have max adjustment via the dials for the real fine tuning
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ICEMAN fixeth whateth not broken....tsk tsk

Quick Reply: I Screwed Up BIG Time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.