Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Point of aim shift

Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Point of aim shift

I had my .300 win mag, topped with a 3200 Elite 4x12 sighted in at 50 yards and set it on a couple of sandbags on the bench next to the one I was shooting from. I did this while I was putting another round downrange with my 10ML-II. After putting one more downrange. I noticed that my .300 win mag had tipped over, fallen to the left side. I did not think much of it, as its not like it fell off the bench or anything. When I shot three rounds with it I was high and to the right. 3 more rounds, same thing. I checked the scope bases, two piece Leupolds, as I thought maybe they were loose or had shifted when falling to the side, and they seemed fine. I decided to adjust the scope to back on target. It was easy enough to get back on vertical, but I ran out of shells before being able to get back on horizontal, as I was left with two 3 shot groups of 3/4" @ 50 yards, but they were about 7 inches or so directly right of center.
Any suggestions on where to start to address this during a follow up range session tomorrow? I would not think that the scope is damaged? I would think that short fall to the side just shifted the POI? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Point of aim shift

You could sight down through the bore at a target to see about where you are. It could be that the impacts just moved an adjustment that had been made before. At times I have had to tap on the adjustment knob to complete the adjustment as sometimes they don't move freely. I also doubt that any damage was done to the scope.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 AM

It is a new scope, so I am thinking that you are right, and I will start from scratch and work forward.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 AM

Well I started from scratch and aftera range session this past Saturday, ended with 4, 1" groups at 100 yards. I guess nothing was damaged, but likely just shifted.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Such falls usually bend the scope at the threads under the power adjust/rear eyepiece. This is the thinnest part of the scope. Shoot at 4X then 12X and see if the groups are in different locations, the next time you are at the range. I would guess that you will be OK, but to change poi that much something bent/moved, especially since you were at 50.

Another quick check, take a frameing square or similar straight edge and hold it against the flat portions of the scope tube/eyepieces in different angles, see if anything looks off.

Since it shoots ok this might seem a bit much, but who wants a surprise in the field.

Why 50 yards? This is not your usual sight in is it?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Ideaman. 50 yards is not usual for me, but the rifel is new and I was in process of barrel break-in and getting on paper in the mean time.