Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help. cleaning an automatic !!!

Old 11-09-2002, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need help. cleaning an automatic !!!

Hey guys, I need a little help here, someone told me that carb and choke cleaner is good for bleaning the action on an semi suto gun that is starting to hang up a little !!!
Anybody use this stuff on their guns ??? I'd like some opinions before I use it on my rifle.

Thanks, Priz

"If it sounds and looks too good to be true, it probably is !"
Old 11-09-2002, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Need help. cleaning an automatic !!!

...the best thing to do is disassemble it an clean it thoroughly. Most autoloaders are not that hard to take down and put back together, if you are attentive to details when you disassemble it. The manual should help in that regard. If you spray carb or brake cleaner into the action in an attempt to clean out the crud, you will probably just rearrange the crud into EVERY small crevice in the action, and you will very likely get the cleaner on your stock. This is a very bad thing, if your stock is wood, as it will eat the finish off. Get to know your gun...disassemble it and clean it completely.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 11-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help. cleaning an automatic !!!

i use some of that gun scrubber stuff on my rem 740, i can;t fully break it down as much as i;d like so i just pop out the trigger group and hose the snot outta it, then hit it dry with an air hose. so far so good, hasn;t jammed on me yet. i;ve shot it from 110F to -35, after i clean it good i use a nice light coating of either remoil or this teflon spray stuff when it;s super cold, i can;t think of the name but it works good,

"smile, life could be worse.. i could be datin your daughter."