Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Friend shot 3 axis deer 2 weeks ago, he only found one. He was using a .308. Does that mean the .308 is too small for axis deer ?I dont think so.
You cannot blame the caliber , only the shooter. This weekend I found one of the axis he hit 2 weeks ago, ran about 300 yds and laid up and died is my guess, carcass was to far gone to tell anything, probably a gut shot.
Nuther friend shot a huge buck last year with a 7 mag, never found it. What does that mean, nothing. But because James's expierince has been young shooters wounding deer with a .243 he thinks it to be inadequate. Quite the contrary. 243 is an awsome caliber. I have never lost a game animal with it, never ! James will tell you it an experts gun, ok I'm an expert,James said so. buwahahahahah
Old 09-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

20 gauge slug gun too young for long shots... stealth...cunning...teach him to be close... not distant....he'll thank you
Old 09-15-2006, 04:32 PM

i would suggest a 30-30 or a 243, both are great guns for a young hunter, i strated out on a 30-30 marlin, and still gun hunt for deer with it, most of the time, about all the knock down power you need in the woods in ky,

good luck
Old 09-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Spike

I shoot a .270 Win and absolutely love it. Was the first gun I bought and won't get rid of it until it's broke beyond repair.I've used it for 12 years now and have not had any problems.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 PM

Go for the 243. I got a one for Christmas and it is an awesome gun. I'm not a real big person and the kick is just fine. Actually, my husband might use it for mulie hunting this year, because his 270 wsm kick like a mule. He's getting pansy as he gets older .

We hada redneck Valentine's day when he got me a 9mm pistoland aredneck Christmas with the 243 all in the same year!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 PM

Boy oh Boy lots of replies...looks like a crap shoot (no pun intended). I started with a 35 remington my 1st yearand then used a 303 british my 2nd year then switched to a 30-06... borrowed that for 7 years before buying my own, I would let your son pick it out....try and get him to try a couple different calibers, maybe some friends have some or at the range someone will help, if not go to your local gun dealer and talk real nice to him and he might let you try some used guns out if you buy from him, I guess what I am saying is shop around and involve your son in the decision...it will be an awesome memory for the both of you....
Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Go for the .300 weatherby mag. That will show him what its like to shot a gun. Just kidding. My first rifle was a .300 savage. I killed my first two buck with it, one shot on both of them. My son is now using it but ammo is getting real expensive. I looked into getting him a Savage 7mm-08. Gander Mountain has them priced at around $400. that comes with a 3-9 scope and I think even a hard case.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 PM

The .243 is a girls gun . My nine year old daughter took her first whitetail in
in Jan of 2006 with her mod. 70 the deer was 202 lbs live weight, the shot was 70 yards, and the deer ran 25 yards. shot placement was perfectly through the heart and one lung. The bullet wasnosler 70 grain ballistic tip.
I know, the tongue is not supposed to show, I thought I had it covered up but the excitement of moment was too much.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron. Noithing wrong with a 7mm-08 but get a die set and keep shooting that 300 Savage. A few boxes of shell price wise will set you up to roll your own. Get a couple boxes of Speer 150 grain Mag tip bullets and your set.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 AM

30-06 i started out on. I tell you what, i learned to hang on real quickly after that!!

Quick Reply: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.