Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336

Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 336

ButchA,
I take it that you're a lefty b/c I noticed your bow being lefty. If so, How does it work for you with the bullets coming out the right side? Do all the 336's eject bullets on the right side? Just curious. Another question. I've noticed that some 336's have their scope more towards the front of the gun (forward)compared to where it was when you had your scope on. Are the 336's drilled and tapped if I was to buy one in the store or from a dealer? Final question. You said that a 1.5-4.5x32 scope is a good choice. Would a 3-9x32/40 be too substantial for a 336? Thanks a lot for the help in advance.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Troutman

My setup looks exactly like Butch's. Scope is in the same place. I've not seen them forward.
I have a 3-9x32 on mine and it works fine. I've never needed any more than 4X though in the field. The only reason I use the 9 is when I am shooting at targets 125-150 yrds after the shot so I can see where the bullet hit ( I didn't have a spotting scope when I bought the 336 which was my first gun)
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Troutman10
ButchA,
I take it that you're a lefty b/c I noticed your bow being lefty. If so, How does it work for you with the bullets coming out the right side? Do all the 336's eject bullets on the right side? Just curious. Another question. I've noticed that some 336's have their scope more towards the front of the gun (forward)compared to where it was when you had your scope on. Are the 336's drilled and tapped if I was to buy one in the store or from a dealer? Final question. You said that a 1.5-4.5x32 scope is a good choice. Would a 3-9x32/40 be too substantial for a 336? Thanks a lot for the help in advance.
Yup... I'm a lefty. Left eye dominant and shoot lefty. Always have been. Try to make meshoot righty would be like... " "

The Marlin 336 is a true side eject and doesn't cause any problems or interference withshooting leftyat all. The shell just eject straight out, up over my right arm.

The only thing I am careful with (hold my right elbow/forearm down a hair) is my boyhood Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle. I grew up shooting that lefty and can remember my dad teaching me how to hold it so my right arm wouldn't get biffed by a fast ejecting shell (a little .22 shell wouldn't hurt anyways.... but you get my point).

The 336 does come drilled and tapped for a scope. The 3-9x32 or 40 would be okay, but a bit much for a 30/30. Some guys put big scopes on them, others put smaller fixed 4x or the even smaller adjustable 1.5-4/5x on them and have great success.

Some people put scout scopes on them. Those are the ones that are mounted way up near the barrel. I've never used one and don't know how well they work, but to each his own...

You can easily get a smaller scope mounted on the 336 and bore sighted for next to nothing. Weaver makes a great solid one piece base for the scope rings (I still have mine, but W/O the scope itself).

Good luck!!!

Butch A.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

When i started deer hunting 11 yrs ago now i started with a 30-30 and i have not looked back since. My first 30-30 was a savage bolt action i wish i still had that gun. then i got a marlin 336 it had a high mounted scope that i didn't like so i took it off and replaced the brass front sight with a fiber-optic sight. when i got out of highschool my parents bought me a winchester 94 A.E. Blackshadow with a 24 inch barrel in 30-30. i kept both 30-30s for a couple of years. the marlins feel s stronger built and r a lot simpler the take a part and fix both my 30-30s shot about the same when it came to accrecy, but when it was snowin or rainin i grabed the marlin cause i knew it could make it through the weather. my winchester will be retired at the end of the year cause i'm getting the 336 XLR.

pat

p.s. get the stainless steel 336
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I love my marlin 336 in 35rem. If it is with in 170 yards I can put it in the boiler room every time. That is a little far to some for the 35rem but my marlin holds 1.35 inch group at 100yd off of the bench (some times a little better). Mine has the micro grove barrel and loves Winchester 200gr ammo. I put a Simmons atec on it which might be a little over kill, but in SC we can shoot till one hr after legal sunset. I will never get rid of this rifle. If it fits you, you will love it.

I picked the 35 for the bigger holes but my brother has the 30-30 and loves it to.

mello
Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 PM

My first gun was a Marlin 336 in 30-30, and I love it. One important Marlinfeature that most people overlook is the safety. The Winchester 94 doesn't have one, and if you cock the gun and decide you don't want to shoot it, it can be very easy for your finger to slip while trying to lower the hammer.

One disadvantage with a lever action thoughis it's harder to use the hammer with a scope, since the scope and hammer generally has a small clearance. Marlin does include a hammer offset, so you can use it from the side, but I don't like it as much.

I'd stillsay go for it, since the Marlin is an excellent firearm.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent 100 yard big game rifle. I would opt for the 35 Remington cartridge.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no personal experience with the Marlin vs. the Winchester, but my grandfather was a gunsmith, and from his perspective bolt actions were the only way to go ....HOWEVER, .. he always said that if someone wanted or needed a lever gun that Marlin was the way to go. He took many Winchesters and Marlins apart to repair or modify and he said that the Marlin seemed to be a better built gun. He also felt the Marlin had a stronger and more secure lock-up when the bolt closed.
Once again, I'm just repeated a smith's opinion, not personal experience of my own.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Troutman10

What kind of distance would I get out of one w/ a nice scope? Thanks in advance.
I can't think of much bad about the 336. It and its' predecessors have been in production for so long, most all its' shortcomings have been eliminated! It's well suited for what it's made for-woods range shooting of deer & black bear.

What caliber are you talking about? It has been made in some calibers that are much better suited for longer range shooting than the .30/30!

If I were buying one, it would be a .35 Rem. This is a much better load for killing deer up to 150 yards than the .30/30. although neither isparticularly well-suited to ranges of much over 200 yards!

Quick Reply: Marlin 336

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.