Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Priced out a new rifle the other day...

Old 08-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Priced out a new rifle the other day...

I price out a brand new remington 700 BDL (lefty) with leupold VXI scope and mounts. Came out to be 895 +tax. What does everyone think? Should I buy it as my first rifle or Should I waita year and do it?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Priced out a new rifle the other day...

If you've got the money and it's what you want, go ahead and do it now...as with all things the price will only go up in the next year.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally would pass on the Leupold VXI. For the money it isn't a very good scope. You can get some better scope for the same money if not less.

I agree with RiverOtter that they price will likely go up not down unless you wait for a sale.

Tom
Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 AM

Statjunk...I do agree on the scope...my point was merely that since he had seemingly decided what he wanted it wouldn't benefit to wait another year if he could afford it now. I recently was buying a new scope. Bushnell didn't have an Elite 4200 in the range I wanted, so I was debating between a VX-I and VX-II. Though significantly more $, the VX-II is MUCH better than the VX-I in my opinion. You almost can't go wrong with a scope in the $300+ range. In the $200 range, I think he'd be much better off with something like a Bushnell 3200.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

As a lefty I know that finding bolts can be tough. $900 sounds to be a bit high. For that money there is a lot out there. My buddy got a Tikka and Nikon for $550. Remington is theeasiest to get a hold of but check your prices. I hate to say it ,but check Wal Mart's special orders. Sportsman Guide always has scopes for cheap.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a couple VX-l scopes. They have delievered excellent service for me. Having owned a bunch of LH Remington rif;es, I can say that they are top notch. The price it a bit high but probably worth it.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey James,

Unfortunetly I can't agree. I have higher end Leupold scopes VXII and VXIIIs and when I have compared them side by side with other scopes that are considered lower end, those other scopes have produced better. The types of tests that I have done are reading license plates down the street at dusk and dawn, visual clarity, eye relief etc...

The original Simmons Aetec I feel is still the best scope for the money out there.

Tom
Old 08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

The original Simmons Aetec I feel is still the best scope for the money out there.

Tom
My choices for scopes is Zeiss,even my digital cameras have Zeiss lenses, but I have to agree with Simmons Aetec as being a working mans scope!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 PM

You might want to factor in the cost of trigger work if you are looking at a new 700 BDL. One of the big outdoor magazines (I think it was Outdoor Life, but possibly Field and Stream) tested the factory trigger pull on a new 700 BDL at a hair shy of 9 lbs!

Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rem 700 BDL / Leupold combo for $680 to $730 around here. I'm not sure of the specific model of the scope in the combo, and I'm not sure what the chances of finding it in stock in LH.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

A Remmy trigger can be adjusted in about 15 minutes...No problem there...I too see no problems with the current VX-I line...It is the older VX-II...Probably have 8-10 in our camp of each, haven't had any problems, track well and are bright enough to use even after legal shooting hours...

I have a buddy that has an Aetec (another USED to have an Aetec)....It has been back to the Company twice...they keep giving him a new one...current one does not track well...Old one wouldn't hold zero..I'd go with a Nikon ProStaff over an Aetec

Quick Reply: Priced out a new rifle the other day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.