Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Priced out a new rifle the other day...

Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Priced out a new rifle the other day...

I've never owned a Zeiss but I have to say that the ones I've seen were exceptional. Though my stance on scope these days has changed. I would rather get less scope and another rifle. Though that still doesn't solve the problem of having to scope the extra rifle! lol.

How do you get out of this vicious cycle?

Tom
Old 08-30-2006, 03:31 PM

I have a Simmons Master Series....it's the bomb.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Aight, that puts the remington at around 650 dollars I'd say.
You can get a browning A-bolt medallion for around 700. This rifle is twice as accurate, has a floated barrel and bedded action from the factory. Also an externally adjustable trigger, looks better, and has a better feel to me than a BDL. Also, while being lighter, seems to kick slightly less than the same cal in remington BDL. I was die hard remington, then I bought an a-bolt, and I never looked back. Twice the rifle for about the same price. IMO it's a no brainer here.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

My buddy was saying that I should look into getting a browning if I was going to spend some money. I'm still second guessing getting a bolt. I might look to get something a for a little less money then get something bigger when I am more serious and have more experience under my belt.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of options that are cheaper than the route you've gone. 30-30 lever action, savage rifles, weatherby vangaurd. Browning makes a really nice rifle though. I wouldn't hestitate to get one.

Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If this is your first rig, then I am assuming you are a younger person. You should spend most of your money on your scope, and less on your rifle. I have Zeiss scopes that I bought 30 years ago, still top notch glass today. Most of today's firearms shoot well, but there is a major difference in scopes. Go to the SWFA website, used scope section, you will find a great scope at a great price. Right now they have alot of 3 X 9 Kahles in stock, fantastic glass, Tom.