Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

One more time

Old 11-06-2002, 11:05 PM

Default One more time

I know, I know... This question is one of the many that has been beaten into the ground since modern firearms came about. But I just HAVE to get a straight forward answer once and for all. First off, if I can help it, I dont want to spend more than $600-$700 on the rifle itself. I want a relatively cheap, long lasting gun. The most important factors to me are the consistant accuracy on deer shots up to 100-300 yrds (any further is a plus), and a gun that requires the least "out of the ordinary" maintainance. Cleaning and such is of course required. Rebarreling and all that, I can do without. How the three calibers I have heard most about in this catagory are .30-06, 7mm mag, and .308
which is best at distance/accuracy?
Again, I know most of this is just personal opinion, but how else is one to decide asside from buying all of the above and being stuck with several guns he doesnt really want/need? Or am I just dreaming of a rifle that doesnt exist yet? (laughing)

One Shot, One Kill
Hunting is the one sport where, if you are playing right, the other team doesn't even know you're playing.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:19 PM

Default RE: One more time

You're right you'll get some opinions with that question. now deer sniper you know modern gun starts saturday?
If i still worked for my buddy i could get you into a ruger M77mkII for that kind of money. cost on them is cheaper than remingtons. savage yeah a good shop could do that .
a good shop will alot of times order you a gun for 10% over or $20 bucks over cost. the shop i worked for charged $20 over + tax. i am not sure of ruger cost right now .
any of the three calibers you stated are good ,i shoot all but 7mm mag . i have a 7mm stw instead.
My favorite is 308 due to the gun a model seven . i like it because it is the ultimate climber gun. short ,compact, and light . and it packs a punch.
you might check the paper alot of rifles in it and sometimes you can deal with an ind. better than a shop.
But when you say 600 to 700 that gun and scope togather ?

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-07-2002, 12:15 AM

Thanx for that info Rebel. Yep, I can't wait for the weekend. And I am looking into several shops here in Jonesboro for a new rifle. And no, I am getting a scope seperately. Paying about $350 for it. Thats kinda why I limit gun costs to 600-700.

One Shot, One Kill
Hunting is the one sport where, if you are playing right, the other team doesn't even know you're playing.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:46 AM

For that kind of money you will find a good gun. if you were in south ark. i would direct you to a guy that would do you right.
what scope you looking at?

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-07-2002, 04:42 AM

As far as accuracy, the .308 would have it. The 308 has proven itself in high power rifle matches. But in a good rifle all three are as accurate as you'll ever need for any hunting.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any of the three can be very accurate as the gun is more important than the cartridge where accuracy is concerned.My personal choice would be the 7mm rem mag.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:22 AM

The scope I plan to use on this one will most likely be an ATN 6~18X 65mmLU. That brings me to another question. Anyone ever heard of/seen/have any experiences with this brand of scope. I have fired a few rounds through a Rem 700 ADL with an ATN 4~12X 60 LU. If memory serves, it was a Rem .308 win. I really LOVED the whole setup.

One Shot, One Kill
Old 11-07-2002, 09:02 AM

Never heard of that scope . for that kind of money i would go with a company that is well known and has a reputation. leupold,burris,nikon,etc...
Now i am not saying it is a bad scope just never heard of it and it would not be good to put that much money in something and it go bad and the company go belly up. i had never heard of sightron either but they make a good scope. clear and sharp. best warranty in the business.
but i like leupold and burris. and i don't have to buy top of the line to get good quality.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-07-2002, 09:47 AM

Im my area you could get a Ruger 77MKII 30-06 syntic stanless (Ruger has a 40.00 mail in rebait tell 30 nov 2002) and a Leupold VARX-I 3X9X40 (Life time warrenty) for right in the 700 area. It would be a good long lasting gun in a caliber that will take just about anything in north america with a wide range of bullet choices and loads. The 30-06 is very accurate to 300 and longer with pratice. I have a ruger 77 (tang safty) in 30-06 Ive had for yrs did little matinace on with a simmons scope and a muzzle break that I have less than 600 in and it shoots under 1" at 100 and has taken deer cleanly past 400.

3DNWV
Old 11-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

For 600 - 700 you can get a pretty nice rifle. Styer 650, (spelling I think) Ruger 450+, Winchester 450+, Tikka, Browning 525+, etc... I would opt for a 3-9, 3-12, 4-12, or a 4-16 scope, for the same money you can get a better quality scope in the lower powers (3-9) than you can in a higher power scope and at that range a 3-9 will be more than sufficent on deer size targets. Caliber depends on what you like as pretty much any "deer" cartrige will have more energe adn accuracy than you will need at 100 - 300 yards and probably enough for elk. Accuracy depends on the particular rifle, not brand, that you get. My .270 will shoot better groups all day long than my brothers .308. Personally I love the .270 for everything up to and including elk and really want to get a .338 for moose and such.

Quick Reply: One more time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.