Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choices poll and Why?

Old 08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Choices poll and Why?

Well right now, for all NA big game that I hunt. (everything but Big bears)

7600 Remington Pump in 270 Winchester
Federal Fusion 130 grain ammo
Aetec 3x9 scope with flip-up covers
Home made Leather sling.
Harris Bi-Pod if in a ground blind.

Cost was about 600.00 total.

For bigger Game, the Marlin 1895 45-70. Very old Redfield 2x7 scope or Ghost ring peep type sights.

Also have the 7600 in 30-06 and a Browning A- Bolt 308. For long range stuff, Savage 270 WSM Heavy barrel Varmit rifle. Scheels Outfitter 4x14x40 scope with Harris bi-pod and flip-up scope covers. Wide Nylon sling.

That should do for a start.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer...

460 Weatherby Mag

Elk....

.50 BMG dont wanna be undergunned ya know....sharp stick might work better..
Old 08-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Doe Dumper I think you better beef up and get a 20mm vulcan those chipmunks can be visious. LMAO
Old 08-14-2006, 10:44 PM

Inresponse to your poll question regarding elk rifles (I guess), several candidates come to mind,but the one that comes the closest to being any sort of favorite would be:

Winchester Model 70 Supergrade.
375 H&H with Barnes 270 grain TSX bullets (300 grain Partitions are fine also).
Leupold Vari X III 4x12.
Leather sling, no brake, no bi-pod.

That said, I haven't used it on elk for coming up three years now; got otherunits I've been clocking "kill trigger time" on instead.
================================================== ======================

If one ever got into the long range hunting thing (ala Best Of The West: 600 to 1100 yards) then a 50 BMG could besomething to consider I suppose; however, it isnot really a very practicalchoice versus even a"heavy" sportingrifle simply based upon weight alone.Carrying a 33 pound rifletends to prempthiking very far in elk countryAND would necessitatehanging out close to the truck and on/near roads,neither ofwhich is generally conducive for successfulelk hunting.

It is notuncommon each year for many inexperiencedout-of-state "elk hunters"to fall victim tothe "carry too much/air too thin/not in shape/can't handle it"syndromeandget tuckered out and develop sore feet and end up doing the road hunting thingeach fall, generally with dismal results. I would not recommend the 50 BMG for elk hunting except for very specialized situations.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would list them like this-----
1. Ruger m77 mkII target .220 swift.
Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44
Harris bipod
leather sling dont remember who's
Had trigger work done , bolt trued , firelapped barrel ,
40 grain hornady v-max bullet 43 grain H-414 powder winchester
primers hornady brass
coyote killing machine

2. Browing A-bolt .270wsm
nikon buck master 3x9x40
browning sling
winchester 150 grain sp
Deer killing machine

3. Buffalo classic 45/70 single shot
williams peep
Reloads Hornaday 350 grain interlock RN bullets 54 grain H-Varget
winchester primers Hornaday brass

I will stop for now!!! I cant help it I just love to shoot/hunt with all my rifles.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, here goes:

#1. Sako 75 Hunter Stainless (stainless barreled action, walnut stock) now chambered in .300 Win Mag. This has been my favorite rifle since I bought it 6 or 7 years ago. I recently had it rebarreled with a Lilja barrel (it used to be a .300 Wby). It was pretty accurate before, but with the newmatch grade barrel it appears to be a true sub 1/2MOA shooter now. I like the Sako 75 action forseveral reasons: 70 degree bolt lift,Sako extractor,blade ejector, excellent trigger, one piece bolt, a safety that actually blocks the striker, etc...I like the .300 Win Mag cartridge because it willhandle just about any big game hunting I'm ever likely to do.

#2. Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for now. It's just a good all around scope.However, with the new barrel making this rifle a true long range contender, I think I'll eventually put a different scope on it. Don't know what right now, a Swarovski with TDS reticle maybe?

#3. All ammo is handloaded because I enjoy the hobby and can achieve superior accuracy with it. I haven't decided on what combination I'll hunt with this fall. I kind of like the TSX and Accubonds and will be working up loads with both soon.

#4. No accessories to speak of unless you count the sling. It's a "Claw" or something like that I think. I like it because it doesn't slip off my shoulder like a lot of slings tend to do.

Estimated price of everything including new barrel: $2,275