Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why did you buy "that" caliber?

Old 08-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why did you buy "that" caliber?

"My wife bought me a sign to hang in my trophy room, it reads:
"We interupt this marriage to bring you DEER SEASON" "

And from the bulletin board at my hunting club years ago:

"ATTENTION HUNTERS!!
HUNTING SEASON IS ABOUT TO BEGIN
IF YOU INSIST ON HAVING AN ACCIDENT, PLEASE DO IT ON THE HIGHWAY
WHERE IT WILL NOT BE NOTICED!! "
Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 PM

I have a 7mm RemMag. I bought it because it was a browning which I always wanted and it was priced cheap. Someone in the shop dropped the gun and took a couple gouges out of the stock so the store priced it about two hundred less. I walked out of the shop with a Browning A-Bolt 7mm RemMag with a 26 inch barrel for just over 500$. It was a good choice because last time at the range I shot four groups of three and three of those groups were around .75 MOA.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought my Ruger No. 1's, because I always liked single-shots. Same with the TCR, plus it was supposed to have a lot of different caliber barrels available. Of course, then T/C stopped making the TCR barrels....But the No. 1's don't have interchangeable barrels, so I had to buy a lot of them to get the calibers that interested me, from .25/'06 up to .416 Rigby.

I built a couple of rifles on bolt actions because I wanted to experiment with the odd calibersa, like 6mm/284....

Of course, muzzleloaders speak for themselves, but I had to build a couple of these too, to get a fullstock Hawken .58 flintlock and a flintlock Jaeger in .73 cal. The M1 was needed to use in HP rifle competition. Likewise the Colt Gold Cups in .38 Spec and .45 ACP, and the Browning Medalist .22. (Bullseye pistol). The S&W M29 and Taurus ,454 Casull, and Ruger Old Army are strictly hunting weapons.

Then there are the fun guns, like the Dan'l Fraser .22 Hornet, the .30 M1 carbine, and the Ruger No. 3 .30/40 Krag, plus the Ven. M1924 FN Mauser in 7X57mm,the M1909 Argentine 7.65X563mm, and the best of all, the Mannlicher/SchoenauerMCA carbine in 7X57mm...... oops! Forgot the HEYM M55/77 combo, 3" 20 GA over .30/06 w/ a set of 12X12barrels, and the J.P. Sauer 8X60RS double rifle.....

Why did I buy them all? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have very few guns left. I sat down and started listing all the guns I've owned over the years, starting with the nice Jap Nambu 8mm pistol my uncle brought me from WWII when he came back. The total that I could remember came to 177..Most have been sold or traded, some just given to friends over the years. But I got to shoot, and to load ammo for, most of them!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a safe full of guns in various configurations and calibers, and ammo availability has always been a major consideration in purchasing something new. I am not a reloader, so my motto has always been that if WalMart doesn't carry the ammo then I don't need the caliber. To this day, the only caliber in my safe that WalMart doesn't have ammo for is my Blaser R93 in 375 H&H.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy guns I like ,I don't have,or justwant to try,then a few are just such good dealsI'mforced to buy them . Bottom line I'm just weak and have no will power .