Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

t/c encore and wsm or lack there of?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Default t/c encore and wsm or lack there of?

why is the t/c encore not chambered in any of the wsm cartridges?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: t/c encore and wsm or lack there of?

They claim its due to the increased bolt thrust causes accuracy problems in a Encore design. Kinda hard for me to believe since they have a few cartridges with simular bolt thrust. Another source claims the pressure it creates is little hard for it to handle. Again, I don't understand that statement either.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Match Grade Machine http://www.matchgrademachine.commake WSM barrels for Encores that are, in my opinion, better than any factory TC barrel. I have had a Virgin Valley 300 WSM stainless full bull barrel on one of my receivers for about 4 years and is super heavy, but it is super accurate. My barrel was pricey but worth every penny to me.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

bigcountry, I was told the same thing, the pressures inside the reciever are too high for the Encore to handle.

I didn't "buy" the explanation either, but that's the one I got.
Retrieverman is right, if you find a good custom shop, they'll make you one. Fox Ridge Outfitters, who is owned by T/C (I believe) won't make one either.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 AM

My understading of it is not the pressure in the reciever, but in the chamber. If you use the same size barrel blank and put a short, fat chamber in it, you make the chamber wall thickness much thinner. i.e. less steel.

Also, weren't the short magnums made to duplicate the long action magnums performance in a cartridge that fits into a short action bolt gun? If you get the same performance out of a 300 Mag as a 300 wsm, what is the difference? In an encore, you don't have to worry about the action length. Am I wrong? Please let me know if I am.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turfboy hit the nail right on the head!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TurfBoy

My understading of it is not the pressure in the reciever, but in the chamber. If you use the same size barrel blank and put a short, fat chamber in it, you make the chamber wall thickness much thinner. i.e. less steel.

Also, weren't the short magnums made to duplicate the long action magnums performance in a cartridge that fits into a short action bolt gun? If you get the same performance out of a 300 Mag as a 300 wsm, what is the difference? In an encore, you don't have to worry about the action length. Am I wrong? Please let me know if I am.
ORIGINAL: Rammer

Turfboy hit the nail right on the head!
Unfortunately, common sense is not so common!!

Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

But the WSM is more COOL. There is really no ballistic advantage or disadvantage of one over the other in a single shot. In the end the 300 Win Mag is more versitile because of its ability to handle heavy bullets better. Again, I am talking single shots. The only advatage I can see with the short mag in the T/C is if you were reloading the WSM for a bolt gun as well.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TurfBoy

As for the barrel thickness, my customEncore barrel is a full bull and has MUCH more steel than my factory Blaserstandard weight300 WSM barrel. I don't really buy into the pressure/barrel wall thickness problems with WSMs. I have shot hundreds of rounds of factoryWinchester Supreme ammo without a hiccup. Now if you are an experimentalreloader and like them "hot"... These kinds of warningsare usually to protectus from ourselves.

As for the differences between 300 WM and 300 WSM, ballistically, they arepretty much the same, but I have hadboth and can definitely tell a difference in recoil. I used to have a Ruger #1 in 300 WM (I got rid of it because of recoil)and currently have the Blaser and Encore in 300 WSM, and the WSM does recoil less in my guns (my WSMs actually recoil less the my Ruger 270). That is enough for me to give the WSM the nod.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

300 Win Mag Recoil 25.9 lb
300 WSM Recoil 23.8 lb
270 Win. Recoil 16.5 lb

Newton always has his way.

Quick Reply: t/c encore and wsm or lack there of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.