Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

encore shotgun

Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Default encore shotgun

i am looking at buying a fully rifled shotgun barrel for my encore. does anybody know anything about them or where to get cheap ones. i live in indiana so i am only allowed to use shotguns, or muzzleloaders during dear season.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Default RE: encore shotgun

sorry i mean during gun season.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

We have them in stock at the Gander Mtn.in Castleton..

I will tell you that the Encore w/ the slug barrel has a pretty hefty kick associated w/ it.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:40 PM

any idea why it has a hefty kick? Is it like the average 12 gauge shooting sabots or worse?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Typical Buck

It's just the way it's built and the light weight of it. Theyre awesome rifles, but they're built stiff as a tree trunk, which is good, but it does make for a heck of a kick. A 12 gauge slug in an encore will definetly rock your world. I know a guy who has a 416 in encore and it almost knocks him on his butt!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Typical Buck

Encore,
Try ebay.
I've bought and sold a couple of Encore barrels there and as long as you pay attention to feedback you can usually get pretty good deals on there.
I'd say Anthony is probably right, it will probably kick like a mule, but my Encore 209X50 with 150 grains does too, and I doubt it kicks too much harder than that.

I live in Indiana as well, and I love my Encore, but I don't have any experience with shotgun barrels with it. I'd be very curious if you get one, to hear how it shoots. Anybody out there have much range experience with one?

Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 PM

I have an Encore in 20 guage fully rifledand 50 cal muzzleloader. The 20 kicks as much as my Mossberg 835 12 guage. My thinking in buying the 20 was to get a light gun to carry in the woods. The drawback is the recoil. The encore with scope weighs about 7 lbs or so. My Mossberg weighs closer to 10lbs.

The Encore is very accurate with some ammo. I have invested about $150 in different slugs to see which soot well. This may be different with another barrel, but here is how mine shoots. (All groups were shot at 50 yards, five shots and I would shoot three, let the barrel cool and shoot the last two)

2" or less
Remmington Copper Solids (These actually shot about 1.5")
Winchester Partition Platinum Tips (4 shots in one group while the fifth one opened it up)
Federal Barnes Expander

2-4" Groups
Remington Core-Lokt Ultra
Remington Buckhammer
Winchester Partition Gold
Hastings
Lightfield

Over 4"
Hornady SST
Winchester BRI

Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

If the season is open for Muzzleloaders and shotguns, why don't you use your 209X50 encore? Why would you want to use a .20 ga single shot shotgun?

Robin
Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Easier to reload, easier to clean, less complicated. Plus the added attraction of taking an animal with something different than I have used before. Why do people use pistols to take deer when a rifle works better?

All that, plus I like to have more guns.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

I'd get a 20gauge encore barrel. Trust me, a 12 slug in one is alot of recoil. The guy who has the 416 encore has a 12 rifled barrel too and he says its not alot easier on him than the 416! Not for me, but if ya wanna...maybe we could all throw in for the shoulder surgery for you

Quick Reply: encore shotgun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.