Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

encore question

Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Default encore question

now that the pro hunter is out, will the regular encore still be a popular gun, or will it be forgotten?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:08 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: encore question

I know I would never pay that amount for a pro hunter. The prohunter is whatthe regular should be. They shouldn't be shipping out encores with loose hinges or reciever hinge holes that don't match barrels very well. Or reciever hinge holes so big, you can push it out with you finger very easily. The regular encore should havea freefloating forearm and no uneven pressure when tightening down the forarm. Should have either pillar bedding or hanger system. I did all this on a regular encore for around 150 dollars, and now its an outstanding gunbut thats the way it should come. I know I voided the warranty, but a stupid warranty isn't worth it for me to send a gun in and for them to ship it back with the same issues, and then tell me "no problem, send it back in again". So I had it fixed right and learned a good lesson. I know some get a good gun right out of box. And thats the way it should be, but with encores, there's way too many out there who have to go thru this long process I did.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:26 AM

yeah, i know what your talking about. i have an encore on layaway, but i don't know whether i should get the pro hunter instead. Are they going to keep making regular encores and the barrels for them, or do you think they are going to just go with the pro hunter?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:31 AM
bigcountry

I say the regulars are here to say. I havn't heard one way or another however.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:15 AM

ok, i guess i am just goin to get the regular encore instead of paying a couple hundred more dollars for the pro hunter. i just hope that i don't have the gun for a year, and then they quit making it or the barrels for it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:27 AM
bigcountry

Don't worry about that. There's like half a dozen barrel makers makin encore barrels. Also, I don't think the prohunter barrels are that much different than regular encore. They are fluted, at least some of them, and hand tested, supposely. Other than that, I can't see any differences. Maybe someone can correct me.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 PM

I called T/C on this issue a week or so back - there is really no difference between the Encore and Pro Hunter other than the enhancements: engraving, swing hammer, comfort tech stock, etc. Total interchangability between the two guns.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:09 PM
bigcountry

what do you think Roskoe, I respect your opinion. Think I am expecting too much out of the regular encore with the hinge being tight and matching teh barrel hinge hole and forearm floated? I mean you will pay up to 600 dollars for a regualr encore.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:27 PM

I don't own one of these, but have been thinking about it. Back in the 80's, I had a Contender with four CF barrels. Darned thing would change point of impact without warning. Only a couple of inches, but enough to bug me significantly. After trying a bunch of fixes, I traded the whole mess for a new700 VS. At this point, I'm looking at a Pro Hunter 209X50 and maybe an extra turkey hunting shotgun barrel.

All of these two-piece-stock single shot rifles, in long range CF calibers,are going to tend to have some degree of issues with holding zero and being sensitive to forend pressure, IMO. Ruger #1 is another example. It's never going to be like a goodboltaction rifle free-floated in a HS Precision stock in terms of holding zero under all conditions.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I've had one two-three years now with muzzel loaderand just now I'm trying a rifle barrel. At the rangeI realized something, i don't like the encore with rifle barrel, theforearm is too shortcompared to barrel length.The gun is too weight forward for good off hand shooting, the trigger on mine is ok butmy freindsneeds work. Accuracy was ok for the first sight in but I'll need to experence more shots with her to really decide,one group was .5 inch, another was 3 inch, just needs more work but for 22-250 I wouldaccept .5 routinely. By the way it was the one I bought andsold to a friend.