Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Youth Rifle decision

Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Youth Rifle decision

I am trying to get my 11 year old a new rifle for this season in 7mm-08. I have two options that I am trying to decide between.
Weatherby Vanguard 2 for 1. It comes with both a youth composite stock and an adult stock for later. It has a 20 inch barrel $459.00
Savage youth rifle with a 20 inch barrel,standard trigger and a wood stock. It comes with a simmons 3-9x40 and a cupon worth 50% off of a full size stock for $489.00

I am sure both either would provide years of service and memories,but I was just wondering which you would choose and why.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Youth Rifle decision

Key,
Thats a tough choice!
I would probably go with the Weatherby.
Why? Strictly on price! The Savage is a great gun, especially price-wise in hunting guns.
But, you are getting a cheaper price for the Weatherby. Now the Savage comes with a scope, but in my opinion, a cheap Simmons "package" scope is worth zip!
Later, you could probably sell either gun, and recoup some of the costs, so that is why I'd take the Weatherby, and buy a little better scope to top it out! Good luck!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right id go with the Weatherby same reasons. And thatit comes with 2 stocks.

I like Savages also -but those package /scopes can be had pretty cheaply.

My opinion only- but if my child id maybe go with a Nef rifle & get them a few barrels for it(small& larger cal rifle & shotgun etc)- but the minus there i dont think they come in 7mm-08.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

He is already shooting an N.E.F. in 243 and I love the gun. Just trying to move him up to a bolt action in a little bigger caliber since he has grown over the past two seasons.
I am also kind of leaning toward the weatherby due to the scope issue.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

i got a rossi .22/.410 when i was like 10ish. it was ok to shoot then, fit good and stuff. but now i cant hardly shoot it accurately. too short for me. i bought myself a 870 20ga. magnum express for my birthday. cant wait to shoot it!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 PM

I have a weatherby vanguard in .300 Weatherby Mag. The rifle seems to be well put togeather for the money, I would go for that based on price, quality is not a factor as both rifles are well made for the most pasrt and will fit the bill nicely. I agree with the scope package on the Savage, really junk to get you to buy the rifle.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:27 PM

An 11 year old needs to be shooting a 22 until he gets big enough and good enough to fire a 30'06....normally 13 to 14 years old. Large caliber rifles are not for children. Don't push him to fast....it will happen I assure you. Regards, Rick.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

An 11 year old needs to be shooting a 22 until he gets big enough and good enough to fire a 30'06....normally 13 to 14 years old.
B.S. If an 11 year old is comfortable firing a 243 or 7mm-08,there is nothing wrong with him firing one.The only way to find out is to let himfire one and see how comfortable he is.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with stubble--if the kid can do it, WANTS to do it and, above all, is safe, then let him get out there.

tough decision on guns--take him to the store and tell you which one he likes better. either way it will be fine.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:56 PM

I agree with letting him see which one feels the best to him. The scope can be replaced and both are good guns. I dont see why the 7mm-08 would be an issue since key says he is already shooting an N.E.F. in 243.

Quick Reply: Youth Rifle decision

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.