Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Youth Rifle decision

Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Youth Rifle decision

I think the 243. would be fine. My son is 8 and about 50 pounds. He shoots one off the bench and, handles it well. He is just too small tohold it for offhand. Take him with you to the shops and let him handle a few.I personally started out with a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. But my father was sadistic and got a kick out of it. He may be surprisingly recoil tolerant. Think about the Marlin 1894s'. Weatherby sells a Vangaurd youth model that comes with a full size stock. You can get it in .243 and, that would keep you from buying another rifle later.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

My son has already killed two deer with his 243 and I have gained a grudging respect with the round but he has grown a little now and I am sure he can handle the 7mm-08.I believe that caliber would get the edge in certain situations.
I traded in my 3006 for the 7mm-08 a few years ago and I think he is ready for a round he can stick with.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just trying to move him up to a bolt action in a little bigger caliber since he has grown over the past two seasons.
I am also kind of leaning toward the weatherby due to the scope issue.
Sounds like a good choice(all good choices)& of course you know your own wants& needs better then anyone.

( theses so many good ones out there i do have trouble chosing for me- but love buying them- i have showen great restraint over the yrs& told the mate how much money i have saved her over allthese yrsto - justyesterday)- soon A new gun or 2for my birthday i think.

Idid mispeak on those Nef rifles- just picked up there 2006 cataloge- they do have those in 7mm /o8,s & also7.62x39 & 35 whelennow as new calibers.( I really do need to sent my Nef* & H&Rin& get a few extra barrels)
Old 07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

have you looked at remmington
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I looked at Remington,but with the Weatherby comming with an adult stock included I just cant go with the remington. My son says he really likes the feel of the weatherby so I guess That is what we will probably go with. If the Savage had an accu trigger the decision would be worse.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

The NEF does come in 7mm-08. It too has a youth stock which can be replaced with the full size stock.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: keylargo

I looked at Remington,but with the Weatherby comming with an adult stock included I just cant go with the remington. My son says he really likes the feel of the weatherby so I guess That is what we will probably go with. If the Savage had an accu trigger the decision would be worse.
You can get a Remington Model 700 Youth with scope for under $400, and an adult stock for around $90, and still come out ahead, as your listing for the Weatherby doesn't appear to include a scope and mounts.

I got my 12 year old a Remington Model 7 Youth .243 and he likes it a lot. He took two does with it last year, and hoping for a buck this fall. We'll get an adult stock for it when he gets a little bigger. Don't really need a caliber upgrade, as the deer are pretty small where we hunt.

But, if your son likes the way the Weatherby fits, that may be the deciding factor, as gun fit plays a big role in felt recoil. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:51 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about letting a kid shoot a larger caliber. My son killed a doe last year witha a 30-06 he was 12 but he only weighed about 85 lbs. I bought some of the reduced recoil bullets for him and it shot like a 30-30. I would buy a gun he could use his whole life getting the Weatherby with two stocks would be a good choice.