Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

??savage rifle ??

Old 07-26-2006, 06:24 PM

Default ??savage rifle ??

Recently i weighed the trigger pull on my savage 12 fvss and found out it was almost 3 pounds and now i want to adjust it down but im afraid of messing with the pillar bedding that savage uses. i was wondering if i removed the stock if i would have to use a tourqe wrench to get it back to factory specs ? or am i just parinoid and should just take the stock off and snug the screws back up when im done ?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ??savage rifle ??

three pounds is not a bad trigger for most situations
Old 07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, just take the stock off and make the adjustment with supplied tool. The entire process should take less than 5 min....

As for the "messing with the pillar bedding that savage uses", there is absolutely nothing there to "mess" with. Standard removal of the action fromthe stock will have no effect on the bedding, nor does Savage do anything unique in their bedding process.

I have to ask...whatwere youplanning to do with the gun after you get it wet for the first time? (Hopefully take the stock off and wipe down the entire gun if you want to keep it in good condition.)
If you are that worried about the action screws, buy a torque wrench. It would be cheaper than damaging your gun by not properly maintaining it, because you never removed the stock.....IMHO
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger
three pounds is not a bad trigger for most situations
Most situations...no

This situation...yes.

Thisgun is specifically designed for use as a varmint gun. It also features the added safety of the accutrigger design. Most Savage owners I know have their accutriggers set on their big game guns around 2.5lbs. There is no reason to keep the trigger at 3lbs on this gun if the shooter would like it lower.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 PM

you have a great point jcchartboy... this rifle barly ever has any natural light shine on itlet alone water or snowit b/c i use if mostly for target shooting and even then it is either under a covered firing point or put away in a vehicle when not in immediate use... im not much for lugging around a heavy gun when i do what little varmint hunting i do. and trust mei keep my firearms properly maintained. i was just worrried about removing the stock b/c i have no experience with the pillar bedding systeam as this is the only rifle iown that has had it.

The 3lb trigger is great i alway thought it was lighter. But likei said this rifles for target shooting and 1.5lbs is better than 3 in my case. so tomorrow brings a new day and a lighter trigger pull.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big,

As Imentioned the"pillar bedding" Savage uses has nothing unique about it. For all intensive purposes you could forget they even advertise it...
(I own a few Savage's myself, I am not knocking them. I am only trying to let you know that don't require any special care.)