Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Rifle - Please Help

Old 11-04-2002, 12:52 PM

Default First Rifle - Please Help

While I am an avid duck/dove/goose hunter I now want to get into deer hunting.

I am considering 4 different rifles for my first one: Remington Model 700 ADL or BDL, Winchester Model 70, and a Ruger M77 Mark II (w.ss barrel/synthetic stock). For the money, which of these offers the best value? I am trying to keep the gun itself below $500. Please provide me with unbiased (or as much as possible) opinions or experiences with each particular rifle. What are the pros/cons of each? Difference between Rem ADL and BDL?

I've also been told that the Mauser action that the Ruger has is an advantage although I have no idea even what it is. Insite?

I am probably going with a .270 caliber since this will primarily be for whitetail deer and feral hogs. I may also in the future do some elk hunting although that isn't much of a consideration at this point. Are there any other calibers that I should consider with this gun?

Any information that you can provide will definitely be helpful and appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Rifle - Please Help

My personal preference lies with Savage rifles, however I will confine my comments to the 4 rifles you mentioned. My experience with Ruger rifles is split 50/50. I had one a few years ago that you would have had to tape a quarter to so it would be worth throwing away. I don't think it was an example of all Rugers, though I think it is worth mentioning. I recently shot my neighbor's Ruger and it is a dream. Smooth action, decent trigger and decent accuracy. Remington Model 700's (main difference between ADL and BDL is the stock quality and the floorplate on the BDL) seem to have gone downhill a bit lately in the quality control department but I have no complaints with the older models. Winchester's that I have shot were never quite as accurate as the Remingtons, but were plenty accurate for hunting purposes. I rate the rifles as follows:
1 Remington (as long as it is an older model, if new then #3)
2 Ruger
3 Winchester

270 Win is a good choice for a cartridge for deer, hogs, and loaded properly even elk. However, if you want similar ballistics and the ability to have more choices in bullet weight there is also the 7mm-08 and the 280 Rem. Both use a 7mm bullet which gives you great versatility. Again, I take nothing away from the 270, just throwing in a few options.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:28 PM

I own 2 Rem Bdls bought one last year{300 ultra mag} and the other the year before{243} I had to bring both into the gunsmith to have them worked on .Sent my 243 in twice to Rem told them it shot 6"groups @ 100yds.They sent it back and said there was nothing wrong with it.The second time I put a piece of paper in the chamber and when I got it back it was still in there.The guns shoot great now and are very comfortable for me,but I dont know if you want to go through the hassle.I bought a savage 270 didnt like it so I traded it in for a Winchester Stealth and boy does that thing shoot.I have several of my friends old Adls and boy do they shoot the newer ones I am not for sure.

Edited by - ploopy on 11/04/2002 18:33:18
Old 11-04-2002, 06:09 PM

I have two Remingtons, 1 a BDL in 300 Win Mag and A sendero in 300 RUM I have had the BDL since 91 and I have never had any problems with it. I shoot this gun more than any of the others taht I have. The 300 RUM is new and so far shoots great. I also have a Ruger 77 That was made in 1976 and its also a good shooter. Its a 220 swift. I bought my son a Winchester at Walmart two years ago and again no problems. The only thing that has been done to any of them is to have the trigger adjusted. My sons Winchester 270 was under $400. with a scope included. He shot his first deer with it this year, a 175 yard downhill shot. I personally like the Rem 700 BDL better and I seen that Dick's Sporting goods have them for $519. in this weeks ad.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:24 PM

Eliminate the Remington right off the top because of the trigger/safety design. Bolt can be opened when safety on and eneviditably it will open from being snagged on brush, rubbed against a tree or just from bringing it from a slung position to a shooting position. It doesn't fire well with the bolt open. I know a fellow who lost the best buck he ever saw because of it. He immediately sold his Remington and bought a Winchester. He's still on the soap box lecturing others not to make the same mistake he did. Of the remaining two it's a toss up. Quality control is not what it should be at Winchester but it does have an easily adjustable trigger and it looks and feels good. Ruger quality (I think) is better than Winchester and it comes with rings but has a heavy non-adjustable trigger. A smith can polish up the Ruger trigger to about a 4 lb. release which is not bad for a hunting rifle. Out of the box accuracy is about the same for both Winchester & Ruger at about 1.5 to 2 MOA. I have a Ruger M77 Mk2 300 Win Mag and Winchester Compact Classic 7mm.08 which I have equal fondness for. My favorite, however, is my Win. Classic Stainless 300 WSM & Leupold Vari-X 111 2.5 to 8.

The Mauser style action which both Winchester & Ruger have gives you "control round feed (CRF)" instead of a push feed. This means as the bolt thrusts forward it picks up the round and securely holds it under the large claw extractor guiding it into the chamber. Remington and most others just push the round into the chamber. Advantages and disadvantages will be debated for ever and ever. Fact is most dangerous game rifles use CRF - this should tell you something about reliability. The other big advantage of the Mauser style action is the three position safety: when fully on it locks the bolt closed; at half position it's still on safe but the bolt can be opened to safely eject round(s) and full off to fire. I recommend you buy the Ruger, no the Winchester, on second thought get the Ruger, mmmmmmm maybe you should get the Winchester, either that or the Ruger... Good luck gg

"The instant you start talking about what you'll do if you lose, you have lost."
Old 11-04-2002, 08:07 PM

I have been making a similar inquiry, and I have another log to throw on the fire. For the same money,the Tikka is actually more accurate, has a far better trigger, and the quality control is much betterthan the other three companies.

Having said that, of the choices you mentioned, if you can get ahold of a pre 64 model 70, grab it and run with it, but you won't get it for $500. Otherwise, the remington 700 ADL is the way to go. I own a Ruger and it shoots well, but the trigger pull is very stiff, and is not easily adjustable. The 700 ADL, with a synthetic stock will be very accurate, and relatively hassle free.

As far as calibers, that is a touchy subject. The hunting you describe sounds perfect for the 308, but I'm partial. The 270 is a great cartridge, and will fill the bill just fine. Good luck.

Workhorse- Hunt hard.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

I was looking for a rifle a few years ago like yourself and after much researching and reading settle on the model 70 classic that has the claw extractor like the pre 64 models, shoots 1 inch groups with hunting loads, well built, GREAT trigger, trigger is easily adjusted, and excellent safety. And from all I have read and heard nobody makes a better trigger or safety than winchester. Do your homework.

there is no subsitute for quality

Edited by - Losthwy on 11/04/2002 23:18:11
Old 11-04-2002, 10:18 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have been making a similar inquiry, and I have another log to throw on the fire. For the same money,the Tikka is actually more accurate, has a far better trigger, and the quality control is much betterthan the other three companies.

Having said that, of the choices you mentioned, if you can get ahold of a pre 64 model 70, grab it and run with it, but you won't get it for $500. Otherwise, the remington 700 ADL is the way to go. I own a Ruger and it shoots well, but the trigger pull is very stiff, and is not easily adjustable. The 700 ADL, with a synthetic stock will be very accurate, and relatively hassle free.

As far as calibers, that is a touchy subject. The hunting you describe sounds perfect for the 308, but I'm partial. The 270 is a great cartridge, and will fill the bill just fine. Good luck.

Workhorse- Hunt hard.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I'll also throw in the new gun... Tikka. You will be hard pressed to find a better trigger and action on any of the guns you mentioned. As for calibers the .270 sounds right up your alley for deer and hogs.

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 AM

Yes, it isn't on your list, but the other guys are right. The Tikka would be the best bet.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can find one in good condition, I'd recommend a pre-'64 M 70 Winchester in .308 or .30/'06. Preferably the Featherweight version.......

Keep yore powder dry!!

Quick Reply: First Rifle - Please Help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.