Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Rifle - Please Help

Old 11-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Rifle - Please Help

Check out the CZ 550, you get alot more for your money than with Remchester/savages.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 11-05-2002, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of rem. haters here. I just bought a 700 BDL deluxe, I tell you it is a very nice gun and shoots great. I did lighten the trigger pull, but would do that on any new rifle. As far as the bolt opening if safe...who cares???? Least you can eject the shell without having to place in fire pos. Mole hills out of ant hills. I like detachable mags as well, but guys will say "my buddy sold his after he shot and went to rechamber...but lost the mag" Oh come on, don't you ever check your stuff. Opinions are what they are and that's mine.

I say look at them all, then decide what fits you, situation and your budget.

270 is a good caliber.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:14 PM

...of the three you mentioned.. I'd probably go with the Ruger. Other than that, for the money, from what I've heard and read, I'd get a Savage.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 11-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

dmanindallas, First of all welcome to the board......The Remington 700(not 710), Winchester M 70 and Ruger MKII are all good guns.Like mentioned Savage makes very accurate rifles for reasonable prices.Remington's quality has slipped over the last several years.I have all three model mentioned. I prefer my Ruger ,followed closely by my Remington 700.My Winchester M-70 is the "Coyote" Model more of a Varmint rifle. If you decide on any of these you mentioned you will have a nice deer rifle.If you plan on putting a scope on it ,do yourself a favor and buy quality optics.The 270 Win is an excellent deer cartridge. The Ruger MKII comes with Ruger scope rings. Until the end of Nov.Ruger has a 40.00 mail in rebate on selected rifles and handguns. Most of the M-77's are included in this rebate. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:14 PM

I'm with Skeeter, I love the bdl remington, very nice gun and also the .270 is a great flat hard hitting caliber.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:15 AM

Check out CZ & Tikka rifles as well,they are good rifles at good prices.
For a first rifle check out the 260 or the 7mm-08 as both of these calibres make excellent deer rifles & have less recoil than a 270,the 7mm-08 also has a greater range of projectiles than the 270.

What ever you choose have fun & enjoy it.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted with several 700's for thirty years and never had a problem with the bolt opening partly and the gun not firing.I would however choose a 7mm-08 or 280 rem over the 270 for a cartridge.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

I think all of the rifles you mention will be just fine. Pick the one that "feels" best to you and you will be happy with it. Of the four, I'd personally go with the Winchester or the Ruger in 6.5x55 Swedish or .260 Rem, respectively. I just love a controlled round feed action vs push feed, and I dig 6.5mm bullets. But please don't cheat yourself and bypass the Tikka and CZ rifles, though. Check them out before you buy.

As far as the cartridge is concerned, you just can't beat the .270 Win for your purposes. The .270 has killed more deer (and elk) than the .280 and 7mm-08 combined and there is nothing that 140gr .284 bullets can do that 130gr .277 bullets can't. Same holds true for 150gr/.284 vs 140gr/.277, 160gr/.284 vs 150gr/.277 and 175gr/.284 vs 160gr/.277. You can easily find premium bullets for the .270 in all these weights and in various configurations and you will find many more choices in .270 Win factory ammo over the other two. I'm not saying to stay away from the .280 or the 7mm-08. Quite the contrary: I love both (especially the 7mm-08) and would recommend them wholeheartedly. Just don't let the old bullet selection argument sway you...there is simply no difference in the way the three rounds will perform on game with the bullets that are available.

Whatever you get, put the best quality scope on it that you can afford.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting

Edited by - seattlesetters on 11/06/2002 10:52:19
Old 11-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm really glad that you Remington owners get so much enjoyment from owning and hunting with a basically dangerous gun. One where Remington had to settle their case out of court and initiate a recall where they actually charged people 20 dollars to fix Remingtons problem. How bout that for Gall. The only thing that makes me mad is I have bought quite a few of these rifles and after all that have come to the conclusion that they are simply not worth the price, are made of cheap materials, are unsafe and have the worst customer service on this planet. If I were buying a new gun it will be a Winchester,Ruger or a custom rifle with a custom action.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soarkrebel where are you? You need to defend your Remington's.Remington is getting hammered again. LOL.. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.

Quick Reply: First Rifle - Please Help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.