Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Cleaning Question?????

Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Rifle Cleaning Question?????

I am wondering how many of you remove the jag before pulling the rod back through the barrel. I always remove the patch but never remover the jag. Should I be removing it also?

Thanks

BTW I use a stoney point bore guide and dewey rod.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Rifle Cleaning Question?????

A guy probably should, but I don't. What I have been doing is not sticking the jag out all the way, and pulling off the patch.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

What I have been doing is not sticking the jag out all the way, and pulling off the patch.
Do you have a stop to accomplish this or do you have just place a mark on the rod to know when to stop? I normally don’t remove the jag either but take my time in pulling back the rod...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:39 PM
bigcountry

Pretty unscientific. I do note the place on teh stock where end of my rod handle will contact with scrubbing and then when ready to take out, I put my finger at teh end.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just asking because I’ve seen brass tapered collars that are sold with cleaning rods and wasn’t sure if the collar is used as a stop or used as a guide to push the rod thru when cleaning from the muzzle, lets say for a lever action or semi auto...
Old 07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
bigcountry

Generally, those are used for cleaning from the muzzle.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to remember to remove the patch but never the jag but maybe I should!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:21 AM

Better to have a relativley soft brass jagcome back thru the barrel than a steel rod. Even some coated rods can expose steel where the coating ends near the rod tip. And steel on steel is the main concern in that you may mar the rifling or more importantly, where you may may it at the muzzle crown. You can get away with a back and forth stroke as long as you don't pass out of the barrel or into the chamber where you will loose the patch. Still, with the jag on, no harm no foul, just pop the patch the rest of the way out and finish.

Those crown things are to protect the rifling at the muzzle as you pass the rod into the barrel when cleaning from that end. Not the best way to go though. And for a stop, like bigcountry said, just use your finger position as a stop so you don't pass all the way thru. If you clean a lot, or have a target or varmint/sub MOA rifle and are worried about damage to the rifleing, my advice would be to get a bore guide for cleaning from the breach. They also keep the gunk and solvents from getting into the action of the rifle.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wayomic

Those crown things are to protect the rifling at the muzzle as you pass the rod into the barrel when cleaning from that end. Not the best way to go though.
Yes very true, but when cleaning a lever action, semi auto or pump rifle you have no choice unless you take the whole rifle apart and I’m not sure if you still can take the barrel off from the action, and if so that sure would be allot of work to clean a barrel...
Old 07-19-2006, 05:30 AM

Yep, the only time I use em. Cleaning the Marlins or Granddad's Rem pump.

Quick Reply: Rifle Cleaning Question?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.