Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

general tikka question

Old 07-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Default general tikka question

i think ive decided to go with a tikka t3 lite stainless, but then i saw the varmint guns they have, and they are a much better looking gun....but is there some kind of difference it has with the t3 lite stainless...like does it only take varmint rounds or certain grain bullets...because im gonna mainly use it for white tail deer...so im just looking for the bestfit for that
Old 07-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: general tikka question

Varmint just means the calibers are more limited to varmint type rounds, and it has a heavy barrel. It is chambered in 308 Winchester, that'd be a dandy deer machine.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Varmint just means the calibers are more limited to varmint type rounds, and it has a heavy barrel
In the case of the tikka t-3,the stock is also different.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 AM

the fore-end is widened from the lite stainless by adding some composite pieces so that it sits better on the bags or rest, and in the latest incarnation it has an adjustable cheek piece ( which was formerly only found on the "tactical" ). as mentioned by rammer, it has a heavy barrel - i'd call it medium heavy for a varmint rifle. and tikka is one of the few who offer all their chamberings on all their rifles. you can still get .17rem right through to 338 win mag, including some of the more uncommon, such as .222, 6.5 swedish, 9.3 x 62and 7x64 brenneke, in any model, including the varmint.

the "varmint" rounds are usually considered to be in the .22 class of centre fire calibres. they shoot very accurately out to 400 yards, and use relatively high-speed, lightweight projectiles to kill light skinned game such as rabbits, foxes, coyotes etc. classic cartridges include the .222, .220 swift and 22-250. new arrivals are now appearing, such as the .204 ruger and .223wssm. most companies also release their varmint rifles in .308 winchester.

the "certain grain bullets" is related to your calibre of choice, not so much to the rifle itself. although, if you purchased, say,a 22-250, the tikka's 1 in 14inch twist would limit you to about 62 grain max projectiles before they would fail to stabilise properly, so i guess you could say that the rifle dictates projectile weight to an extent. of course, if you were chasing something that needed 70 grains or more, youshould probably go up to 243 or bigger anyway. it would make more sense than getting a faster twist barrel for 99% of people.