Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Double Barrel for Home Defense

Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Double Barrel for Home Defense

ORIGINAL: ths78

I'm thinking about getting a new shotgun...would like a double barrel shotgun. I'd carry it for deer occassionally, but the primary use would be home defense. Are double barrels any good for home defense, or should I get something else?Thanks, ths78
There is certainly no flies on a good double shotgun for a home defense weapon.; I load mine with No. 2 shot for this purpose. Very effective at inside-house distances, but won't carry far enough to endanger the neighborhood like buckshot can!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

A double barrel is great for home defense. After you fire a couple of barrels believe me thy won't be standing around waiting for more. We used to carry one in our truck and had to use to one day on somebody that stole a car and then shot a security guard. After a couple of shots they pried them off the floorboard of the car. They were definitely not wanting to stick their heads back up to see if we had any more shoots left.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter
Hell yea they are good for self defense.HCH
well said

early
Old 07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

And we all know that just THE SOUND of a pump action being worked puts fear into criminals.
I've always thought this. Why would you want to give away your position?

badly outnumbered and probably wouldn't have enough time to fire a 3rd shot with a pump anyhow.
I'd rather have and not need (ie you don't get it off) than need and not have (ie outnumbered but criminal has a miss fire)

I would vote no that a side by side is not the ideal home defense but it will do the job most of the time.

Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM

I agree with most posts on this sight two shots is a little few for me. i personally have a old pupm action mossberg with a 18 inch barrel and it hold 6 shots, and man is it fun to shoot. also i dont think that a double barrle would be to goo d for deer either unless your doin really close range buck shottin. I'd go with a cheap mossber or remington pump hack down the barrel if you wish but chech your states regulations on the legal limit.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM

shotgun of any kind is good for home defense. Put some buckshot in there...one shot from that at close quarters..aint no comin back from that

-Travis-
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I can put3 shells between my fingers in my left hand and 2 in the chambers and will never give-a-way my position with a double barrel.

I do the same with my A-5 when quail hunting. In Fl you can only have 3 in the chamber, but as I do it, I have6 rapid shots. As I shoot, I keep slipping in one.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I can put 4 shells between my fingers in my left hand and 2 in the chambers and will never give-a-way my position with a double barrel.

I do the same with my A-5 when quail hunting. In Fl you can only have 3 in the chamber, but as I do it, I have 7 rapid shots. As I shoot, I keep slipping in one.
But could you do it after being woke up from a deep sleep, not sure whats going on in your house.

I am still waiting to hear a reason why to pay double or more the money for a double for home protection over a pump half the price double the ammo. Only thing so far, it will give away your position. Thats assuming its unloaded which would only be fair to compare an unloaded double. And I usually hear a distinctive click from most doubles.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

But could you do it after being woke up from a deep sleep, not sure whats going on in your house.
Do you keep loaded guns in your house? That's not very wise either! Do you keep themloaded next to the bed?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Do you keep loaded guns in your house? That's not very wise either! Do you keep themloaded next to the bed?
Oh yes, I keep loaded guns in my house. Being wise is a matter of opinion. I happen to disagree with yours. I have no kids, I never have kids as visitors, and if I do, I put all guns in my safe.

Quick Reply: Double Barrel for Home Defense

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.