Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommended Slugs for an 11-87?

Old 07-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recommended Slugs for an 11-87?

not once did they raise at 50, or drop at 100.
Nor should they have...(At least to the point where you would have noticed). That is exactly why these slugs are used by so many educated rifled shotgun shooters. If you are only hunting whitetails there is absolutely no reason, (outside of cost)to be throwingan ounce of lead with a horrible ballistics coefficient, when these modern sabot bullets are available....

Btw...congtats on a good day at the range...
Old 07-02-2006, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Longrifle, the barnes 1 ounce loads you are using, am I too assume they are the 3 inch 1500 fps version? I see they offer a 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch loading with a slightly higher velocity in the 3 inch. I have only ever seen one type on the shelf. I might look around and see if I can find both just to see what works best. I mean heck I'll take the extra FPS of it will shoot well.

Might have to go look for some this weekend.

Paul

That particular slug was fired out of a 2 3/4" round. I was using my wifes Remmy 1100 and it is 2 3/4" chamber. I didn't want to use my bolt action on hogs and took the semi. Out of my bolt gun, the 3" rounds group better on paper that the shorter ones. In terms of practicality in the field, their is little difference. Trajectory is pretty close, and the deer don't seem to die any quicker with the 3" rounds. I just like having a load that is more cosistent when I go out in the field.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I strongly disagree with the 3" over the 2 3/4" statement. at my store we don't hardly sell 3" slugs. and, we sell lightfields (2 3/4") at least 10 to 1 over any other slug on the market. another point to consider, tar-hunt recommends shooting the 2 3/4" inch lightfield in their custom slug guns.

for fun i tried the SST last year, not good at all for accuracy. they were all over the place. I don't think that the rifle twist rate in the barrels is enough to accomodate the fast slugs.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

not once did they raise at 50, or drop at 100.
Nor should they have...(At least to the point where you would have noticed). That is exactly why these slugs are used by so many educated rifled shotgun shooters. If you are only hunting whitetails there is absolutely no reason, (outside of cost)to be throwingan ounce of lead with a horrible ballistics coefficient, when these modern sabot bullets are available....

Btw...congtats on a good day at the range...
well they arent my deffinition of a slug, But I will say atleast the folks who live in shotgun only states have these as you call modern slug design. they do give the hunter a bit of an edge on being sucessfull at longer ranges.

I've hunted Iowa a few times with a slug gun and had to pass on several shots, wishing slugs shot flatter then they do. from the sound of things I'm guessing you must live in a shotgun only state so naturally you are gonna back up these pistol bullet loads.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf
I've hunted Iowa a few times with a slug gun and had to pass on several shots, wishing slugs shot flatter then they do. from the sound of things I'm guessing you must live in a shotgun only state so naturally you are gonna back up these pistol bullet loads.
I "back up" bullet designs that work best for the specific application I am using them for...As for your repeated derogatory references to modern sabot design as being nothing more than "pistol bullets", you are clearly not educated on this topic.

I primarily shoot the Remington Core Lokt Ultra's. These bullet are manufactured with the exact same design as the Remington premium rifle bullet loads.

The Hornady SST's that have been discussed are another load that I shoot. These bullets are designedtooperate at velocities ranges far beyond those of a typical "pistol bullet" design...In fact I took a hog this spring at 100yds with these bullets from my gun with a MV of 2350fps. The following day a good friend used the same bullet at the same speed, to take a hog at 10 paces....The moral of the story being...when used for the appropriate game...these bullets are far superior to the older bore sized "slugs" you seem to favor...

My Slug guns...

Browning A-Bolt
Tar Hunt RSG
SAvage 210

Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Matt in IL

Just got back from the range.

Started out at 50 yards. The tightest groups were the Remington Copper Solids, then the Winchester Super X,
Makes sense. What goes up must come down. I also find the 1oz copper solids shoot the best in numerous slugguns I have had. And really thats the bottom line.

People can get wrapped around the axle about pickin pepper out of flycrap over these things. But bottom line, its a sluggun. If want to longrange hunt, don't be scared to leave the east to go out west, and get a rifle. its a big country.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot the best in numerous slugguns I have had. And really thats the bottom line.
Never said better.....