Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommended Slugs for an 11-87?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:55 PM

Default RE: Recommended Slugs for an 11-87?

The lightfield Commander IDS was the only one from them that grouped well in my gun. The 1oz Barnes grouped very well for me, and their performance is awesome. Here is a pic of a 1oz Barnes I recovered from a boar I shot. Took out the spine (oops, got excited LOL) and lodged just under the hide on the offside.

The trend for ammo makers is going to a faster, lighter slug. Too bad the gunmakers are not following suit and adjusting their twist rates for them. The 3/4oz Barnes group ok at 100, not the best but ok. Stretch out to 150 and it is very iregular.

I know you were just kidding me. I was just smarting off, it has been one of those days where everything I do goes to heck in a handbasket.LOL Have a good one
Old 06-30-2006, 04:03 PM

That is why I like the barnes bullets. Excellent expansion and bullet weight retention. Is that the actual bullet you recovered from the pig? If it is that pretty much makes my mind up about using them. Providing they shoot well enough.

The platinums group well, but I question their effectiveness as far as expansion goes. I think they tend to over penitrate and not expand well. At least from what I have seen on the net and playing with them. I have never shot any game with them yet though. They might perform better in more liquid medium.

Paul
Old 06-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Yep, that is the actual slug I dug out of my pig. But I did wash it up a bit.LOL I have never recovered one from a deer, but they work great. They hit hard, and create a heck of an exit wound, without being too destructive.

I have taken two fat does with the Platinum slugs, and they seemed to work very well. But the cost is what sent me to the Barnes. Around here, the Platinum go for $15.49 a box and the Barnes run $10.49. And since the Barnes work great, I don't see any reason to shoot the more expensive slugs. Except last year I used the Lightfields because I couldn't get my hands on any Barnes. They shot well, were cheaper ($8.50), and would have done ok. But I will be back with the Barnes this year for sure.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

its hard to give you any advice on the topic but heres one corner to immediately cut if the gun has a 3 inch chamber dont even bother messing with 2 3/4 inch loads.
Paul was absolutely right, not only do I disagree, this is first time I have ever even seen any one make the assertion. (That of course does not mean it cannot be true).

However, despite the fact that the 2 3/4" slug does have minor space to jump, I have never seen any ballistics expert ever imply that it makes it an identifiable accuracy difference. (In fact I believe this statement is actually being made in error, the author stated he "heard" this about the 2 3/4 inches being a problem, when in fact I am almost certain he is refering to statements made by Randy Fritz of Lightfield in regard to shells that have at least a 1/2 difference between shell size and chamber.(Randy was actually refering shells with a 3/4" difference))

In any case, I have shot virtually ever 2 3/4 and 3 sabot shell made. Generally speaking, I have consistently found the 2 3/4" inch shells more accurate than 3" shells.

Moral of the story...I personally think the advice in qoutes mentioned above is poor advice at best...and in actuality is most likely just plain wrong.

Randy Fritz...Lightfield Slugs...

Q..Why can't I shoot 2-3/4" slugs through my 3-1/2" chambered slug gun?

A..Firing a 2-3/4" slug in a 3-1/2" chamber is not recommended because of the length of the jump the slug makes between the end of a 2-3/4" case and the front end of a 3-1/2" chamber. This can cause misalignment of the sabot on the slug, thus causing a serious pressure problem as well as poor accuracy. Slugs are NOT LIKE SHOT SHELLS where a shorter shell can be safely fired in a longer chamber with no ill effects. The bottom line is you should use a shell with a minimum case length of 3" (ideally 3-1/2") in any 3-1/2" chambered rifled barrel for best accuracy. THE CASE LENGTH SHOULD MATCH THE CHAMBER LENGTH WHEN IT COMES TO SLUGS.
*Before everyone qoutes the following "the case length should match the chamber...", keep in mind he is refering to a specific brand of slug. For example if brand X is available in both in 2 3/4 and 3" shells, and both shells are loaded identically, then "theoratically" it is likely the 3" could be more accurate than the brand 2 3/4" brandX shells.
Howver, his statement in no way implies that brand X's 3" shell will be more accurate than brand Y's, orZ's or Q's... 2 3/4" shell.....

JC
Old 06-30-2006, 06:44 PM

They are pretty close to the same price in my area, with the winchesters being easier to find. The faster slugs are the ones that dip into the 15 dollar range around here.

Paul
Old 06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have purchased the Core Lokts, Partitions, SST's etc...and I have never paid more than 12.99. I would say my average cost on my slugs is 11.50. In fact I just bought 10 boxes of Winchester Partitions for my 20ga, (which are generally harder to find, and more expensive than the 12ga shells), and I paid 10.33c per box....
Old 06-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Consider yourself lucky. The best prices I have found are at Gander Mountain. I have to drive to toledo ohio though, which is about 40 miles from me.

Paul
Old 07-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt in IL

Hey guys,
I appreciate the comments

The gun has a simmons 4x32 scope on it.

I ended up getting 2 boxes of the following:

Winchester SuperX 3'' 1400fps 1oz Sabot
Federal Barnes Expander 3" 1525fps 1oz Sabot
Remington Copper Solid 3" 1550fps 1oz Sabot
hopefully the 4x32 shotgun/muzzleloader scope??? a slug guns recoil will tear up the insides of a regular rifle scope so badly a load of buck shot will have better grouping then you will get from a box of slugs.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

its hard to give you any advice on the topic but heres one corner to immediately cut if the gun has a 3 inch chamber dont even bother messing with 2 3/4 inch loads.
Paul was absolutely right, not only do I disagree, this is first time I have ever even seen any one make the assertion. (That of course does not mean it cannot be true).

However, despite the fact that the 2 3/4" slug does have minor space to jump, I have never seen any ballistics expert ever imply that it makes it an identifiable accuracy difference. (In fact I believe this statement is actually being made in error, the author stated he "heard" this about the 2 3/4 inches being a problem, when in fact I am almost certain he is refering to statements made by Randy Fritz of Lightfield in regard to shells that have at least a 1/2 difference between shell size and chamber.(Randy was actually refering shells with a 3/4" difference))

In any case, I have shot virtually ever 2 3/4 and 3 sabot shell made. Generally speaking, I have consistently found the 2 3/4" inch shells more accurate than 3" shells.

Moral of the story...I personally think the advice in qoutes mentioned above is poor advice at best...and in actuality is most likely just plain wrong.

Randy Fritz...Lightfield Slugs...

Q..Why can't I shoot 2-3/4" slugs through my 3-1/2" chambered slug gun?

A..Firing a 2-3/4" slug in a 3-1/2" chamber is not recommended because of the length of the jump the slug makes between the end of a 2-3/4" case and the front end of a 3-1/2" chamber. This can cause misalignment of the sabot on the slug, thus causing a serious pressure problem as well as poor accuracy. Slugs are NOT LIKE SHOT SHELLS where a shorter shell can be safely fired in a longer chamber with no ill effects. The bottom line is you should use a shell with a minimum case length of 3" (ideally 3-1/2") in any 3-1/2" chambered rifled barrel for best accuracy. THE CASE LENGTH SHOULD MATCH THE CHAMBER LENGTH WHEN IT COMES TO SLUGS.
*Before everyone qoutes the following "the case length should match the chamber...", keep in mind he is refering to a specific brand of slug. For example if brand X is available in both in 2 3/4 and 3" shells, and both shells are loaded identically, then "theoratically" it is likely the 3" could be more accurate than the brand 2 3/4" brandX shells.
Howver, his statement in no way implies that brand X's 3" shell will be more accurate than brand Y's, orZ's or Q's... 2 3/4" shell.....

JC

I am trying to figure out where you are coming from??? My advice is based soley on experience.......

I dont see how Paul has it right on????? heres is a portion of his post I quoted, particulary the portion in RED is where I have the most trouble understanding:

"As far as not using 2 3/4 inch slugs in it. I don't know about that and I am pretty certain JCC will dissagree with that as well. Most of the 2 3/4 inch slugs work better and can have just as much power. You may find the faster slugs will not shoot well out of your barrel. From what I have seen most average slug guns like 1700 fps or under to shoot accurately out to 100 yards and beyond. You get up around 1900 fps and the accuracy seems to fall off at longer distances".

I do agree thats slugs do the best under 1700 fps, but what I dont understand is what the heck is he talking about? every 12 gauge 3 inch saboted slug I have ever used have a printed MV less than 1600 fps....

also how exactly can he say "MOST" 2 3/4 inch loads work the best I think he'd be more correct by saying some. He is obviously implying that 3 inch shells have a higher velocity which is also not true either, there are many other 2 3/4 inch loads that actually produce higher velocity then some 3 inch loads so he is incorrect there too. He also implies that slug loads with lower velocity has the same energy as loads with higher velocity thats a really big load of bull it doesnt take a genious to understand that weight x velocity = energy so PLEASE!! tell me how a load with less velocity has the same power as a one with a higher velocity???? PLEASE tell me I seriously want to know????

jcchartboy please tell me how exactly your buddy paul is absolutely right???

Old 07-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I work at the Gander Mtn here in Indy.. and we all know how hard the Hornady SSTs were to find last season.. but working at the store does have a few advantages... I got 2 of the few boxes that we got in stock.

Ifeel thatthey worked excellent out of my 12GA Browning BPS (rifled of course). At 80yds I had a 2-2.5" group shooting propped against a tree. I had the gun sighted in 1" hight at 80 yds... I did get the chance to shoot a nice 200# 3 yr old buck last Thanksgiving morning at about 95yds. I was on the top of one ridge and the buck came down the next ridge over... I'm not good at judging yardage across a ravine.. so I 1st thought he was about 100 yds.. then I started thinking "maybe he's a bit further than that"... so I held about 2/3 up on his shoulder. Took my shot and then I didn't see anything.. started looking up and down the ridge to see which way he ran.. And I couldn't see anything. About that time I saw him flopping a little about 10 yds from where I shot him at. The bullet impacted exactly where I aimed.. about 2/3 up the shoulder.. Both lungs were complete jelly. I did find a few pieces of the copper jacket.. but there where 2 exit holes.

I was very impressed w/ the SSTs.. took the deer down in a few steps... and they were extremely accurate. At Gander we sell them for $9.99 abox.. which is pretty cheap compared to alot of the other HP sabots out there.

Quick Reply: Recommended Slugs for an 11-87?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.