Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Accuracy Question

Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Default RE: Ruger Accuracy Question

Anyone knowthe correct torque on the Ruger's angle screw?Or is it just tighten/loosen, shoot three, repeat?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just tried the hit and miss. It works sometimes. Its worth a try. The last Ruger I bought (25-06) was a very good shooter. The one before a 260 just would not shoot. I had a 7MM Mag LH that was a great shooter. My brother has a 300 Win Mag Ruger and it shoots pretty well.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two-grouping is, from my experiences, usually always caused by an uneven stress at some point between the barreled action and the stock. Rugers are a little more difficult to "tune up" than most others, due to the angled front bedding screw and a usually ratty trigger pull. One thing you want to make certain of is that the recoil lug has clearance on both sides as well as the front surface and the bottom. The only place you want full contact with the stock is on the back side of the recoil lug. If your gun has a screw in front of the trigger guard, make certain it is not overly tight, as this can tend to warp the action to a slight degree, and cause inaccuracy also. I also solid- bed about 2" of the barrel in front of the recoil lug, and free-float it the rest of the way, giving ample clearance between the barrel and stock in the free-float area. Bedding the action at the same time as the barrel is probably the best way to go, but as stated before, go slowly, and think about the consequeces of your actions and use a little common sense. You should be able to handle this just fine.
The method I have described is how I've done Rugers over the years, and is only my way of doing it. Accuracy was improved on most that I've bedded this way, but there are those out there that will just not shoot for whatever reason, and are good trading stock only. Good luck, and keep plugging along............
Old 06-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Outdoor Life just dida review of a Kimber rifle and they couldn't get it to shoot under 2" groups, so your Ruger is shooting pretty good.
Wow that is some source your referencing. Owned a kimber have you?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

LOL OEH, I only buy guns once they past Outdoor Life Mag reviews. They are the leading authority in the gun world for sure. HCH
Old 06-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL OEH, I only buy guns once they past Outdoor Life Mag reviews
Yes especially a magazinethat has more advertisements within then useful articles.. What a bunch of cr*P
Old 06-30-2006, 08:04 PM

The latest issues of Outdoor life that I have shows them testing rifle scopes from $200to $2000, who in the hell that read that magazine is going to be out shopping for a scope that cost $2000?????? My other complaint in this issue is they have some stories that are half printed in the magazine, and then they tell you to log into thier web site to finish reading the articles. So we got a magazine with half printed articles, more adds than articles, articles doign test on gear that its readers can't afford to buy. They suck!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:05 PM
c j
Typical Buck

IINM, one of the last Guns & Ammo magswas able to get a Sako to group within their 1" claim -- but not with ALL factory ammo. They had to shoot several different brands until they found one that grouped that well.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,

I'm back from the range today. I was able to get the ruger to shoot pretty good with the standard Winchester ammo. I would say within 1.5". Then I switched up to some Federal Nosler Partition bullets and shot two 3/4" groups. So I figured I would try a box of Win Accubond and my groups exploded. I dont know if the barrel was overly fouled by then or not but the groups were 4"+. All were 180gr. In total I shot 26 rounds. I'll have to try again next weekend.

Tom