Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.45 ACP...pistol

Old 06-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .45 ACP...pistol

45s are easier to shoot well in heavy all steel guns, like a 1911.
I know in IL, semi autos are not legal for deer, but I think you can use anything for yotes. The deer caliber requirement for deer in IL is at least 30 cal, and 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. I guess you could use a hot 45 round in a 45 revolver made to take moon clips.

I don't think I would want to use a 45 on deer anyway, as a first choice. They still sometimes run after getting whacked by a 44mag.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:07 PM

Recoil is a subjective thing. What bothers some may not bother others. My parents used to have a colt 1911 when I was a teenager. I am a little guy, at the time I only weighed around 95 lbs or so. I had no trouble shooting it with two hands. My biggest problem was it was just large for my little hands. When I was older I got a Browning Hi Power and didn't have any trouble shooting +P loads out of it, or my brother in laws glock .40. And I was only about 110 lbs then.

Yet I have met 200 lb men that just can't take it. See if you can rent one first to see how you like it. I shot a 10mm once and didn't care for it all.

Paul
Old 06-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Ditto on the rental idea. Check around and see if anyone in your area is teaching the NRA Personal Protection course. This is a good, introductory course. Barring that, see what basic courses are available at the nearest range.

A lot of these courses will allow you to handle and shoot several different types of handguns, in several calibers. Having us tell you on the internet what it is like to shoot a given weapon, when you have no basis for comparison is not that helpful. Getting to shoot several yourself gives you much more useful feedback.

And because a post from me would be imcomplete without pimping my website , you may want to check out some of the DVDs available on the 1911, as well assome of the training titles available at HuntFlix.com.This title about handgunhunting will address some of the caliber suitability questions you have.

Okay, commercial over! Now a word of caution: Cracking off a shot at a coyote from the seat of your four-wheeler is probably in violation of several hunting and shooting regulations. COs get a little testy about shooting from or upon a vehicle, or while on a roadway!

-- FLIX