Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEED HELP WITH CHOKE TUBE!!!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NEED HELP WITH CHOKE TUBE!!!

I feel like an idiot right now but i have a problem. I forget to remove a choke tube after a late season duck hunt and my choke is stuck in my browning gold. I once lectured a friend who did this and i now i am eating my own words. I havent contacted a gunsmith yet but, does anybody know any at home solutions??

Old 06-20-2006, 03:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: NEED HELP WITH CHOKE TUBE!!!

I take my choke tube out when I clean it and clean it after duck hunt, but always leave it in there all year. What kinda wrench do you have? If you get the decent ones, I bet you can get it off. Another thing I would try is WD40. Soak it in it. Guantee it should work.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

bgcntry, i have a really good wrench. I will try soaking it tonight.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 PM

If you can't get it with a reasonable amount of force take it to a gun smith, they can probably get it out.

You should anti sieze on your choke tubes it helps quite a bit. I don't put them in real tight to begin with. Most of my guns they come in and out with a quarter, I don't even use a tube wrench.

I know all kinds of methods for freeing up stuck things, but I don't know that I would advise any of them on a gun, especially something as nice as yours.

Paul
Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 PM

I had this happen to a mossberg I traded for without checking the tube. Of course it was a flush mounted tube and i tried light heat and soaking with liquid wrench. All I had was the mossberg type wrench and it doesnt grip very well. Well the tube won the battle. I called mossberg and explained it was stuck. I sent it to them and they removed the tube, installed a new one, and even replaced the front bead I had heated and melted. All I paid for was shipping it to them. Check with a gunsmith and see what they would charge. If a gun smith does any damage you may have a legal case on your hands unless they would stand by their work. I myself would call browning and explain the situation. It may be cheaper to send it to browning and I am sure they are set up to deal with problems like these. If the choke is damaged taking it out im sure browning would replace it like mossberg did if it is a browning tube. Some manufacturers are good for taking care of their customers as I found out. Good Luck!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would get some Kroil unless you have it already..if anything can penetrate a joint that stuff can. Let it sit a day and if it doen't come out bring it to a gunsmith.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:21 PM

I bet my gunsmith would try it real quick while I waited and if he got it I probably wouldn't even get charged. I have a pretty good gunshop though.

Paul
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the WD-40 didnt work. I am taking it to the gunsmith tomorrow. I hope has better ideas.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:23 PM
bigcountry

Wow, I have removed 50 year old 1" bolts with WD. You must got her in there good. Hope he don't have to heat it up. Shotgun barrels can get out of round that way.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

If a gun smith does any damage you may have a legal case on your hands unless they would stand by their work.
These kinds of statements really get my goat. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
The gunsmith didn't screw it up in the first place. If it was properly taken care of to begin with there wouldn't be any need to take it to a gunsmith would there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had choke tubes come to methat were so stuck that I had to cut and recrown the barrel.

It's not the gunsmiths fault the gun is screwed up.

Now on to the question.
Usually mild to medium heat and either bees wax or wintergreen oil will help out a bunch.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH CHOKE TUBE!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.