Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

T/C Contender Quetsion....sorry if it's been asked before.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default T/C Contender Quetsion....sorry if it's been asked before.

My dad suffered a devistating shoulder injury about four years ago. That, coupled with lots of family issues has kept him from hunting since. He has had to give up bowhunting totally and can nolonger shoulder his rifle. I think he's just afraid the recoil will do even more damage to his mucked up shoulder. I've been on him to get back to camp and in the woods. Finally i got him to Cabela's and he found a used T/C contender in .30/30 (same cal as his trusty marlin) and i almost forced him to buy it.

Question is, is the barrel drilled and tapped for a base to be scoped. The kid at the counted said it was not. The barrel is the 10" one with iron sites. I'm almost positve if you remove the rear site that the barrel is tapped or T/C makes a special base for it. If it's not were are gonna have to get him another barrel, IF he doesn't like shooting it with the open sites. I figure he'll want to scope it for the extra weight to soak up the recoil.

any ideas?

thanks alot
cartman308
Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 PM

Default RE: T/C Contender Quetsion....sorry if it's been asked before.

There should be four holes when you remove the rear sight. That is the same thing I had to do with my .44. Its easy to check and see. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Should be holes under the sight.

But a Contender in 30-30 is one of the LAST things you want if afraid of recoil. Ifhe does, it can be

I have it in a 10" bull barrel and it kicks like nothing else, even with "light" loads. I can shoot my 44mag all day long and be fine.10 rounds out of the T/C and my hand is sore. If spending time at the range I will only shoot it if wearing my recoil-gel padded gloves.

(does make a BIG flash at dusk though )
Old 06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

He isn't afaid of the recoil. He just doesn't something bashing into his severed rotator cuff that has rivets (that have failed once already), staples, and everything else in it. He's lost 75% of his range of motion. He's really excited about the Contender!!!!! First thing he's been ecxited about since he ruined his shoulder! Can't wait till hunting season!!!

now the question is scout (burris or looppy) scope or pistol scope. He needs to decide how far away he can hold the pistol.

thanks guys

cartman308

any experiance there????
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 PM

Well, if it's a pistol, he's going to need a long eye relief pistol scope unless he's going to shorten up and be using a rest or shooting stick and be close enough to use a shotgun or long relief rifle scope. But then again, if it's a 30-30 or even a large pistol caliber it will still put his face too close to the action to be safe from recieving a nice bang from the scope flying into his face during recoil. Offhand shooting, the recoil will have that gun pointing to the sky after the shot. Best totake it out and firea test round or three first before deciding how close (you) are going to get to it.
If I could afford it, it'd have mine set up with a Holosight or similar. As it is, I switched my 30-30 to a 35mmAimpoint and only use a scope on the .22LR.

Well, Good luck (to you both)
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 AM

I would seriously consider going with a 14 inch barrel rather than the 10 inch for a centerfire rifle cartridge. Mine is a .35REM and off the bench is quite accurate. For aoptics I have a 3x20 ThompsonCenter scope which so far has worked perfectly. Just remember to get one with a long eye relief that can handlea heavy recoil handgun. For ammunition I am really looking forward to trying some of the new Hornady LeveRevolution ammo and see how it preforms against my handloads of 180 grain Horndays...