Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The NRA Wastes Money!

Old 06-18-2006, 04:45 PM

Default RE: The NRA Wastes Money!

I understand everyone's frustration, because I am a Life member. But, I have a big BUT for you.......

Eliminating the junk mail is easy. All you have to do is give them a quick call. Tell them that you like being a member, but do not want to receive the weekly solicitations. They WILL take you off their list for thier mailings, and just send you renewal notices.

I firmly believe that other groups are GREAT as well, but they should all be joined in ADDITION to the NRA. Because when it comes right down to it, the NRA is the ONLY 800 pound gorilla fighting for us in Washington. If every gun owner was a member, the anti's would never get anything through. It is sad.

So please, continue your memberships, but just call them and request that they save their money on you, and stop the solicitations.

Brian
Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Calling doesn't work, I tried this one time and was actually sent on to one of Wayne's World assistants. I explained my feelings toward the constant mailings and phone calls and was told that "what we need are people like you to become even more involved with the NRA and add my voice to the fight to protect our rights to gun ownership" and would I care to become an officer in the NRA. Seemed to be the typical political B.S. you hear from every politician out there.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I’m a Life Member also, and was in the same boat with all the calls and mailings. It was becoming pathetic. I was getting more solicitations from the NRA then credit card companies. I simply called the NRA, and they toned down their mailings and phone calls.

Actually I preferred the mailings, as I believe it was a thread here, or on some other forum the anti-gunners were posing as the NRA, calling members, and asking for money. I let the NRA know what was going on, and informed them I would be highly skeptical of giving money to anyone over the phone, even if the number comes up as NRA in the display.

I still believe the NRA does a very good job, and does need the support of gun owners. The anti gunners have a mint full of money to take our rights away. They are doing an excellent job keeping people informed whether they call it an emergency or not.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

I've been an NRA member for the past five years. Why am I a member? Because I believe in the right to bear arms and I want to preserve that right for myself and my family, long after I'm gone. One thing that gets me though, is the fact that they send so much "junk mail" week after week in an attempt to get me to renew my membership- sometimes only weeksafter I had just sent in my renewal from the previous year!

There's no doubt that the NRA hasa competent marketing department, and I know that in the long run, these mailings may amount to bigger sales. But it just seems to me that they would be able to save a lot of their proceeds and put them to better use if they just cut WAY back on their solicitations and premature renewal notices...

Does anybody else agree???
YEP! I've been a member since 1954 and a LIFE MEMBER since 1981; and they are still trying to get me to JOIN up!!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

They called my Dad one night about about 930 to sign up (he was already a member) and he told them not to call after 9. Well two days later he got a phone call from them at 10 at night, so the next day he called and cancelled his membership. Good organization just bad marketing execs.
Are you sure it wasn't Sarah Brady & Co. masquerading as the NRA?? At any rate, I'm sure Sarah appreciates your father's reaction!!