Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

User or collector?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default User or collector?

I envy the guy who picks a good rifle or handgun then stays with it. I wish I was that way. However I am Not. I have always had to try everything. I have traded and sold more rifles and pistols than I could ever list. Buy One try it out, work up loads then trade it off and start over.

There are some caibers that I have always had to be sure that I have on hand but I have even traded them around a lot. I always have to have a 270, 308, 223, 22 RF, 12 Ga., 44 Mag, 45 ACP and of course, a 45-70.

Are you a stay with it hunter or a try everything hunter. Or better yet, some place in between.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:40 AM

Default RE: User or collector?

James,

Your self discreption pretty much fits me to a tee. I recently traded off a Cooper varminter in 22-250 that had on occasion shot .0" groups. It was a true 1/4 incher all day long. Why did I trade it, you might ask. Because I was ready to move on. There are only a few guns that I own that I consider "untradeable" My Browning a-bolt 280 (personal affection) and my grandpa's Sweet Sixteen.

OBTW, Been doing any P-dog shooting? I hear tell they are thick in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to be a guy who liked to try out all the new stuff, and was constantly trading guns. Now I have decided that I would like to start collecting and keeping all of my guns. My trading days are about over, and I will only get rid of something if I absolutely hate it or have no use for it. I have a Ruger P89 9mm that will get traded shortly, mainly because it hasn't been shot in probably a good year to year an half.

Like you, I always like to keep a few on hand at all times. I always keep at least 2 243s, 1 308, 1 7mm, a few 12 gauges and 20 gauges, about 10 22s LOL.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 PM

I trade a lot as well. I have owned a lot of toys over the year, but never have that many on hand. Maybe 5 guns tops at one time. When I want something else I trade or sell something.

Like just last year I got sick of dinking around with my inline muzzle loader and decided to get a slug gun. I looked at what I had that I could live without and took them to the local shop to do some trading.

I traded my mossberg 500, a couple of .22 rimfires and some paintball stuff. I ended up leaving with a H&R ultra slug gun in 12 ga with a bushnell trophy scope, mounts a nice leather sling and two boxes of ammo. And it didn't cost me a penny, I even got a few bucks back.

I kind of miss my mossberg though, it was the bantam model with the ported 12 ga barrel. It fit me really well. I have a new (to me) Browning A5 now, so that should help ease the pain.

Paul
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I collect guns but pretty much stay with the same few in the "stable" for my hunting. I started with an iron sighted 7 X 57, went to a scoped .243 in my late 20's as my glasses got thicker. I was given a custon '98 in 8mm/06 but so far have only played with it, not hunted much with it. I then played around with a few 6.5 X 55's, but mostly ended up carrying the .243
I finally bought myself a Savage package gun in 30/06 (always wanted the all american round - stolen and improved from the Germans basically!) and successfully used it when hunting specific larger animals (I usually am a meat hunter and prefer the younger, tastier ones anyway!)
Usually I go for the .243, but am currently trying to refine a particular 6.5 Swede to turn it into my go-to gun. It just needs some tweaking on the accuracy side and then a little fit-and-finish work.
I have many more guns and more calibers and rifles in the stable, but they are mostly for shooting at the range and playing around with.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

James I used to be the same I would trade guns just to trade but as you know I found the 6.5 swed and that was it I now own 6 of these a geat rifle and a great round.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not been out for prairie dogs yet this year but yeah there is no shortage of them up here. Mostly in Western ND and SD.

I always have one 6.6x55 as well. Oh and I found the bayonett.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have sold one gun in my life...a 700 ADL .22-250 that I bought for a deer rifle in the early '70s...Don't laugh...in the '70s the deer population was just starting to explode and frankly dad never owned a centerfire...did all his hunting with a 12 gauge and a .22...he had been a market hunter in the '30s and except for WW-II he never shot a centerfire...And, believe it or not eastern NC had a .22 law..couldn't use a rifle larger than .22 cal, so we all went out and bought 22-250s

I love hanging on to guns, they become old friends, each one has special memories...The first rifle I ever bought with my own money was a Remington Speedmaster 552...bought it when I was 16 from a hardware store in Suffolk, VA...I killed a mess of squirrels with that gun...Dad had given me a double barrel 12 gauge when I was 12, choked full and modified...With that gun I have killed squirrels, rabbits, doves, quail, turkeys, deer and ducks....This winter I refinished both stocks, but I didn't try to repair the dings and deeper scratches, because I know how they got there....neither has any rust on, but both have blueing worn off, and both still feel right when I carry and shoulder them...I have other guns, but these two are special....

When it come to centerfire deer rifles, I have one...a 1980 model Ruger .243...It originally came with a Bushnell Scopechief ($130) when I bought it...I think the gun was $250...I replaced the scope with a Leupold a few years back....With it I have killed groundhogs, crows, beavers, coyotes, deer, bears and a few more varmits that I don't need to mention...Just never saw a need for another bolt action centerfire....

Muzzleloaders...I started with a .45 caliber custom flintlock in 1977...I believe it was in 1988, I had a bear get within 35-40 yards of me....Decided a .54 would make me feel more comfortable, so I made a .54 flinter based on my interpretation of a 1770 rifle that would have been made in the Piedmont at that time...I did buy a Knight Disc in 1996...Has no character, gun shoots good, I need the scope and use it a few times a year, but I usually take the .54

Old 06-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a bunch of gun's,I collect the Remington 700 Classics. Never shot one, just keep them in my safe and store the box they came in. My kid's will have a nice collection when I'm gone...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I envy the guy who picks a good rifle or handgun then stays with it. I wish I was that way
So many guns to try in so little time I did about the most trading I could have possibley done earlier this year. I plan on keeping what I have and buying a handgun or 2 another shotgun,rifle and having a custom built again.Guns are getting too expensive anymore and if you have quality guns never get rid of them. I used to buy midrange guns with the occasional expensive one. I won't do that anymore..I will buy what I need irregardless of price..If I have to wait months or years in order to save up so be it.

Quick Reply: User or collector?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.