Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Debating.....

Old 06-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Debating.....

this is the first time ive ever posted in the gun forun i usually use the bowhunting,but i figured this would be a better place for my question. I am debating a new deer rifle and between these three which one would u choose.also if u could would u tell me some pros and cons.OKay which one .270......308.......or the 7mm rem mag
Old 06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Debating.....

7 Mag...An excellent deer cartridge. I have one that's a Weatherby Vanguard. Drops deer like lightning. Recoils more than the others. Shoots very flat. Ammo costs more than the others. Very loud. Ammo available almost everywhere.

30-06...Also an excellent deer cartridge. I have a Ruger 30-06. This too drops deer on the spot. Recoil is noticeable, but not severe. Flat trajectory out to 300 yds. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and available everywhere.

270...I don't have one of these, but have seen them in action, first hand, on several occasions. Like the 7 Mag, is very loud. Has the flattest trajectory of the group. Drops deer on contact. Ammo is also relatively inexpensive and can be found everywhere. Great deer cartridge.

308..I have a BLR in 308 that is my favorite deer rifle. Drops deer like a ton of bricks with less recoil and noise than the others. Very flat out to 300 yds. Ammo is cheapest and found everywhere.

Bottom line on performance is: Deer will never know the difference, and inside of 300 yds. you never will either. Personally, I prefer the 308, but it is by no means any better than the others. Go after the best deal, best fitting rifle, and best looking rifle.

Good Luck
Old 06-14-2006, 09:27 PM

Very, well said, good advise.
If you have buddies that have some of these calibers, see if you can get them to let you shoot them. then decide!!
308 very good caliber.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would choose the 7mm Rem. Mag. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote would be for the 7mm Rem Mag. I actually have hadall 3 of the calibers you mentioned, and while all killed deer in their tracks 90% of the time, the 7mm just felt better to me. My only complaint about my 7mm Rem mag is its 26" tube thats on it, other than that, it is a very flat/accurate rifle with less recoil than my 30-06 but it does have more muzzle flip. I have seen the impact on everything I have shot with it, as it is a very easy gun to shoot, and the muzzle flip is very easily fixed with the proper hold on the firearm.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:38 AM

i have a .270 and it is one of the best guns i have ever shot. very accurate.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is no better deer rifle on this planet than the 270. It has it all when it comes to deer hunting. Available Ammo, acceptable recoil, Instant kills. Shoots Flat, Shoots fast. Load it with 130 grain Federal Fusion ammo and you will be on the top of the heap. I also have a 308 Browning A-Bolt. Great deer rifle. I have owned five 7 MM Mags. Just way more than I ever found use for while deer hunting. Recoil and Muzzle blast is not worth it to ME. Like someone said, if you can, shoot all three before you decide. Good Luck.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys i am leaning toward the .270, it seems to be the most accurate,see ive also got a .308, its semi auto which is alright but the thing is too damn heavy thats why im in the market.I believe is a remington model 740 woodsmater if anyone has one.I just like the .270 better,my step dad has a 7mm rem mag and ive shot it and it just doesnt impress me.Its barrel is just too long for its own good.yes it shoots fast hard and accurate but where i hunt i doubt im going to have a shot over 150.Heck I might even get a 30-30 just because its light,an excellent brush gun but the only thing i dont like is the fact it doesnt have alot of stopping power.I think ill get the 270 does anyone know a good one thats fairly inexpensive and still gets the job done
Old 06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Remington 700 SPS, The Savage with Accu-Trigger. The Vanguards and Tikkas. The SPS would be my first choice.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

anywhere online i can look at these guns i would also like to know prices,i want something thats going to be fairly inexpensive

Quick Reply: Debating.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.