Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Just got a Rugger .44

Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just got a Rugger .44

I just bought a Ruger Super Blackhawg .44 mag with a seven inch barrel. How accurate can you guys shoot this gun or a gun similar to it with open sights?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just got a Rugger .44

I bough a Ruger .44 SBH in the 70's and kept it for about 20 years. It seemed to me it was an accurate with I think was a 7 1/2 barrel. See:
http://www.gunblast.com/Super_Blackhawk.htm

However, I sold it for a couple of reasons. With the western style grip and that heavy magnum I had to hold on for life with both hands to kept it from coming back and the hammer bloodying the back of my thumb. The recoil is very substantial, as you've undoubtedly discovered. The report is also quite a shock to your system after shooting a few dozen rounds in one session.

Their nice looking and for certain applications a good pistol.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't benched my .44 RSBH but I used to be able to plink a gallon milk carton at 50m with it without missing. I am more reserved at age 57 because my hand shakes more now and my visual acuity is, sigh, getting worse. However, even firing 300 grainers, I just let the beast climb and arch back. No damage to me. Now, I have always gotten trigger kits or jobs on my SA Rugers. They are sweet.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just a couple days ago, I picked up a new Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter with the 7 1/2 inch barrel. I have not had the chance to test its accuaracy as yet but with practice, a good revolver is capable of 3 inch 100 yard groups if not better. I had a GP 100 that I could get those groups with as well as a 10 MM S&W revolver shooting 40 S&W ammo. Add a pair of Hogue grips to the old Blackhawk and its a different critter altogether. Thye don't make Hugue grips for the Bisley however.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think with a modified grip to help reduce the tendency of the of the handle sliding back when firing. As I recall, even though mine was sort of a "beast" to control with the standard grip, it was kind of fun shotting it or letting someone else shoot it. The look on a friends face after the first shot was always worthwhile.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know what you mean.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

I prefer a scope on my hunting handguns; I suck otherwise. It amazes me how anyone can shoot accurately at 100 yds with no scope on a handgun. With a scope on my .500 S&W I can shoot 3-5'' groups and could do the same with my old .44 mag Blackhawk
Old 06-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

With the sights that come on most hunting handguns, its hard to do any precision shooting. If you replace at least the front side with a good fine brass bead sight, your shooting will improve fast. Of course you must have a DEAD SOLID rest with a Hunting revolver to place your shots well. The longer the barrel, the better. Even Snub nose revolvers are plenty accurate but not very shootable past defense ranges. A scope or good Red Dot is a great aid as mentioned above. Ruger can supply any sight combo you wish and on The Hunter and Super Redhawks, they are simple to change.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a pair of Uncle Mike's grips on my RSPH .44 Mag. It carries the 10 1/2" barrel, which adds a little forward weight to it, but the new grips, although not as pretty as the factory ones, sure made it MUCH more pleasant to shoot. Accuracy suits me just fine for what I expect from it (and me).
Old 06-11-2006, 05:53 PM

i used ta have one years ago. it was a real shooter, wish i'd a hung on to it. like's been said getta houge, uncle mike's, or the like fer better grip.

the square trigger guard can be a knuckle buster.

early

Quick Reply: Just got a Rugger .44

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.